Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

A lifeless and her eyes are sunken back... She, Indian star…

A lifeless and her...

A lifeless and her eyes are sunken back... She

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Indian star tortoise

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the tortoise's name and age?

Taiki and 11years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Taiki?

11 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Taiki?

She was sick this winter ... stopped eating so we took her to a vet, gave some antiobiotics and something else that boosted her system she was doing a lot better

9/20/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 tears.

Can you tell me where she is Housed?

Diet?

Supplements?

If housed inside can you tell me if you have a UVB light, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Has she been passing stool and urates?

If you press the back foot can you get a pain reaction?

Joan

No reaction touch at all
She's normally housed inside, but we take her outside into our backyard when it's warm enough. Today was around 90 and we had her outside.
Diet: Romaine lettuce, sometimes green beans... she ate 2 days ago. Hasn't pooped recently tho.
She has a basking light and her terrarium is set at 85 degrees F.
she has a UVB light.
Linear tube light

How old is the UVB bulb?

Have you used any supplements?

Have you tried a warm soak?

Do you fed any vehhies other than romaine?

Joan

The UVB is about a year old.
She's on a calcium and multivitamin supplement.
We currently have her soaking in a mix of water and pedialyte.
She also gets tomatoes, spinach, green beans, and carrots.
We've also tried syringe-ing water down her throat... still no response.

The diet wsa not very good. Star tortoises are grazers and need grass hays and weeds for a proper diet. Romaine did not contain enough nutrients for the totoise. Spinach binds calcium so that could also have played a role in what has happened. The fact her etes were sunkenin in ,eans she was very dehydrated. If you are not getting a pain reaction, I have to be honest, I believe she is gone. Tortoise are predisposed to Kidney disease. When diet is in approiate, it can push the bounderies and that may have been an undetected issue that eventually cuased her demise, I am so sorry, from what you have told me I belive she is gone.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Alrighty, thank you for your help.

The hardest answer to give is to tell someone their beloved Pet has crossed to the Rainbow bridge. I am so sorry. My condolences.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan