Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My 3 year old ball python is showing signs and symptoms of a

respiratory infection as manifested by...
My 3 year old ball python is showing signs and symptoms of a respiratory infection as manifested by wheezing, popping, and gaping mouth to breath/"cough". When his signs first showed about a week and a half ago I immediately upped the temp to 95 degrees, raised his humidity to about 60-70%, and began fogging with the F10SC like the "pros" of the internet praise and swear by. I've been doing it for 20 min every day and leave him in the container for 20 additional minutes with the fogger off. Then I place him back in his freshly cleaned habitat. I feel like I'm doing everything correct but he's not showing any signs of improvement.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the python's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** off of jungle book.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kaa?
Customer: Also he is refusing to eat. He shows interest in it but acts scared that he might not be able to breath. I've been feeding him small live rats. Last time I fed him he ate readily.
This is how I have his tank set up since he is showing signs of RI. I do not have the light on him now I just did it to take a picture. The aluminum foil is to hold in the heat and humidity better! It does have ventilation holes in it!
9/20/2017
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Kaa is ill. All the things you are doing are supportive measures, and are not likely to cure this. The popping and wheezing are especially worrisome because they are signs of pneumonia. Kaa is going to need a safe prescription antibiotic. If you'll give me your location, I'll locate reptile vets for you. Thank you.
I live in Byhalia, MS. The zip code is 38611.
Thank you. Give me a few minutes to check the directories and I'll be back. I appreciate your patience.
I have read on several sites that Tylan 200 works for respiratory infections for ball pythons. Just out of curiosity would you agree or no?
Tylan 200 is an antibiotic.

Thank you for waiting. I'm familiar with Tylan 200 as an antibiotic for farm animals, but I don't personally know of anyone who has used it in a reptile. It is effective against mycoplasma and some gram positive bacteria, but is ineffective against a number of other bacteria. I did a little reading on it, and the people who have used it injected it. They report mixed results. It's your decision if you want to try it. I can't legally give out prescribing information on this site, butcan link to websites. This is the best I could find for Tylan:

http://ssscales.com/archives/1590

. Baytril is the most commonly used antibiotic. You can read more about it and some other antibiotics used in reptiles here:

http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html

The closest vets I could find are in Tennessee, but these two are within about a half hour from you:

Shannon McGee
Collierville Animal Clinic
474 Hwy 72
Collierville 38017(###) ###-####/p>

***** *****non
Avian & Exotic Veterinary Service
555 Trinty Creek Cove
Cordova, TN 38018(###) ###-####/p>

If I can help in any other way, just let me know. I hope your python will reach a full recovery.

Anna

Awesome! Thank you very much! I was just curious if you had heard or actually used it in reptiles before. Would you think it wise to get a culture sent off for him through the vet?

You're welcome. A culture would tell you exactly what bacteria you are dealing with, but some vets prefer to start treatment right away. I would discuss it with whatever vet you decide on. You could probably discuss that by phone.

Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Thanks so much for your help!
You're very welcome. Wishing Kaa a speedy recovery.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist