Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I am wondering if my beardie had an ear infection and the…

Customer Question
I am wondering if...

I am wondering if my beardie had an ear infection and the signs to look out for

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections Beardie can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is Beardie?

I am not too sure, i believe the place said 1 month or 2 , she just had her shed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beardie?

No, it was fine and we took her a bath and she jumped into the water and got the left side underwater and redid it today as well

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Reptile
9/19/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 9 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet etch for 35+ years. I am looking over your question and will have some questions for you. Please give me a min. to review it.

Joan

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Full spectrum white basking light?

Diet veggies/prey?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambiet temps and cool side?

Did the Dragon go under the water purposely?

Joan

40 gallon
Metal screen on top
1 - 10.0 UVB bulb from reptisun
1 - Ceramic heat lamp and basking bulb
Branch that goes to top of cage
Hammock and rock on the cooling side
Water bowl by the middle of cage
1- Humidity and temperature probes inside cageDiets - Calcium vitamin d3 sup,
Eats dubai roaches
Few crickets
Likes papayaTemps in the basking side 100-110
Cooling - 80-85She jumped out of my girlfriends hands and got her left side in the water and got straight out.

Type of substrate/Bedding?

Any veggies?

Joan

Paper towelsNot really veggies but does get water in take.Also we just got her on Sunday.

You need a full spectrum basking light for daytime. A heat emitter, is only for cold nights. She need to have 20% Veggies as well as 80% live prey. The veggies should be finely chopped collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, edcarole and curly endives as well as uncooked Butternut squash. This is a food list and follow the green foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Never use a loose substrate. Carpet, paper or tile work well. Also no meal worms or super worms, they are too hard to diegst.

As far as the water as long as it was clean, there is no problems. The problems ocur when they defecte in the bath and are left in the dirty water or the bathing area is no clean. Teir ears are not like our human ear with the ear canals. They can go under water with no problem, as long as they do not aspirate into the lungs, which would happen in a drowning situation.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

my question is what are the signs that lead to ear infections? How does the water come out of her ear once it goes in?

They have a membrane that covers the ears and the water does not get in. What would happen is bacteria would grow due to dirty water and you would see an aural abscess. We rarely see these in Dragons and more so in a Turtle and sometimes in Leopard Geckos. Their ears are similar to those of an alligator or crocodile where they can go under water wthout a problem. The big issue is bacteria, which would come frome unsanitary conditions.

Joan