Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a RES approx 12 years old and healthy. We travelled

Hi Pearl, I have a RES approx 12 years old and healthy. We travelled for 4 days and left him in his tank, he somehow got the end off the filter hose and got his whole left arm stuck in there. We dislodged the arm as soon as we saw and it was bloated, and lifeless (yesterday). He also bit it because I don't think he could feel it as part of himself:( We are based in the countryside with no local reptile vets that were open sunday. Gave him tasty foods which he ate voraciously and left him to bask overnight on his dry area. This morning swelling is reduced but he's just dragging the limb. The hand is blistered and bloated and not moving but he seems to be able to move the arm from the top elbow. He ate again and headed back to bask. Should I try to find a local reptile vet asap and travel with him? I was worried it would do more damage/stress him out more. But I’m worried about sepsis or the hand getting infected. Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Red eared slider
JA: OK. The Expert will know if the slider will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the slider?
Customer: I'm sorry-digest what?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is for a Reptile Vet I seem to have opted for a dog Vet by mistake on the site...

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. You will need to have him into a erp Vet because of the tack of circulation for an unknown period of time the leg needs to be seen. This caould hav caused blood clots in the leg as well as inenal injuries in the leg. I would be happy to locate some Herp Vets for you with a State or Country. If their are skin injuries you are correct and could look at sepsis.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Joan,Ok thanks, ***** ***** have found the closest reptile vet a few hours away. Taking him this afternoon to get checked out.All best,
HD

Please let me know what the Herp Vet says about the leg.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan