Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My veiled chameleon won't open his eyes anymore, His name is

Customer Question

my veiled chameleon won't open his eyes anymore
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: His name is Pascal. I'm not sure of his age but he's small. I've only had him about 2 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pascal?
Customer: I noticed he didn't even open his eyes when a cricket landed on him
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me what type of enclosure you have?

UVB ligt, linear tube or compact coil, sgrength, age and brand?

Full spectrum basking light?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps?

Do you have an auto mister?

Are the eyes swollen?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has a reptile enclosure (screened) designed for chameleons. His eyes are not swollen. Or sunken only closed. He will climb around and reach out blindly.i feed him gutbloaded crickets dusted with calcium. He has a dropper but I also have a humidifier in cage that he loves and prefers. He has a zoo med twin lamp that has the bulbs that came with it. It I don't know the specs. I think I've left the light on too much for him. I am a night owl and it's not been a regular schedule. I've got his lights off currently. He missed recently.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

I need to know about the bulbs. We have found out that the petshops ate not seeing the proper lighting. Can you please check and let me know if one of the bulbs is a UVB and one is a full spectrum basking light.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The other bulb is a night Time blue bulb
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

They did sell you the wrong bulbs. The UVB is not strong enough and you do not have a full spectrum basking bulb. The Basking bulb is a white light that gives off warmth. The only time a blue bulb is used is at night. The Basking area cannot reach 90 to bask under without the basking bulb. The UVB that you have is not putting out adequate UVB to metabolize the calcium. The first thing I would do is change to the proper bulbs. The UVB you need is a Reptisun 10.0.

I would also add an automatic mister which could be a part of the problems. I do not think the chamelion is getting enough moisture. He needs the droples of water to drink as well as his body can absorb.

I would try these changes and see if he responds. You can also try some pain sterile saline eye drops to moisture the eyes.

If he does not respond to the changes, then a Herp Vet visit may be needed. I can locate some with a State or Country.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan