Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I have a juvenile Columbian tegu. About a week ago he

escaped his enclosure. I found...
I have a juvenile Columbian tegu. About a week ago he escaped his enclosure. I found him two days ago, and his tail had fleshy indentations, no blood though. I transferred him to a table where I set him to get a better look. And after a few minutes about half of his tail fell off. The end of his tail is now turning dark grey/black.
9/17/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you share pictures of what you're seeing?

How long was he outside his enclosure?

It certainly looks like he sustained a crushing injury of some type in this area. What questions can I answer for you today in regards ***** ***** tail?

In general will he be okay without an exotic pet vet visit? The ones around me border on robbery as far as prices go.

If you'd like I can make some recommendations for others in your area if you'll share your state of residence. You can research them to see if any offer other options.

Typically these types of wounds do heal well with time. Surgical debridement of the wound is recommended and will help not only prevent infection but also speed healing along. Reptiles, unlike mammals, can take months or years to heal. It can be a full time job try to heal a substantial wound by comparison. If this cannot happen, I would urge you to clean the area once daily with a mild soap, rinse well, pat try and apply regular Neosporin topically. Keep the area clear of debris, which will mean using cage carpet, turf or tiles in the habitat. If you noticed pus or any thick discharge he needs to see a vet. I cannot tell you that this wound will not claim his life but many reptiles do fine following losing part of their tail. Keep the area as clean as you can and stay on top of usage of the antibiotic ointment. This will increase the potential for healing without the necessity of a veterinary visit, if you choose to go this route.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you for the tips. I'll make sure to do my best to clean it regularly

Sure thing.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse