Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

She is about 3 months old and my baby brother accidently fed…

Customer Question
Hi, She is about...

Hi, She is about 3 months old and my baby brother accidently fed her superworms and now she can barley use her back leg and she cant climb or anything.. i soaked her and rubbed her tummy already. She was also standing straight up to her snout towards the celing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the baby's name?

Moana

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moana?

Not that i know of. Only the situation at hand

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Reptile
9/16/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** aboutan and I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

What type of reptile are you speaking about?

Were the superworms bigger than the space betewwn the eyes?

How many were fed?

Joan

She is a bearded dragon, & yes much bigger, he had given her about 2 , i have a adult dragon in a separate tank & he thought since i feed the larger one these super worms, that the baby could eat them too.
She has trouble moving her hind legs

First thing is neither Dragon should have meal worms or superworms. They are not good feeders for Dragons. Good feeders shpuld include Crickets, dubia roaches, silk worms, Phoenix worms and hormned worms. With tat being said the Super worms are most likely causing a clockage with sool. The first thing is to get the Dragon in a warm soak and whil in the soak gently massage the abdomen. Do tis for 15 mins. The Dragon should produce a stool. oce we get things moving it should take pressure off the spinal cord. If that does not work tomorrow, please feed the Dragon some baby food prunes, wait 45 mins and then back in a warm soak with the massage from snout to vent. Tis should help the movement. Once we relive the pressure off the spinal cord, it will make it better and should regain use of the legs. The drgon under a year old needs 80% live prey and 20% veggies. Your Adult needs 20% live prey and 60% veggies. Make sure you change your feede insects to something safe to avoid further medical issues. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Thankyou!

You are welcome! Please let me know how the Dragon is doing. I would appreciate a 5 star for my service when you have a momnt to do that.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician