Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Almost 2 year old female bearded dragon, presented with lack…

Customer Question
Almost 2 year old female...
Almost 2 year old female bearded dragon, presented with lack of appetite, lethargy and dehydration (sunken fat pads) for about 2 weeks. She also has what appears to be retained shed on the right side of her face. I took her to the vet and the doctor ordered a CBC, skin scraping sample and started her on Vitamin B12 shots as well as antibiotics. The doctor called today with the CBC results and said her glucose levels were high which indicated a possible diagnosis of gastric neuroendocrine carcinoma. I still have to bring in a stool sample. The doctor suggested doing an ultrasound as well as an x-ray, but I would like some answers from an expert before I invest in these costly procedures (especially because no one is certain of the diagnosis).
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Reptile
If there are any photos you'd like me to upload please let me know.
Also i find it really odd that he did not mention any other possible causes for the high Glucose levels other than the worst case scenario.
9/15/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Bearded Dragons over 40 years.

I must say Diabetis in Dragons is a rare occurance. I have read about cases and have done some research on the problem. There two reasons I have seen the reports recorded. The fisrt in an infectioon in the endocrine system, the other reason as your Vet has mentioned is a Tumor in the endocrine system. Unfortunately I have read by the time it is diagnosed the tumor is well advanced.

I agree that the testing is needed to pinpoint if there is a tumor and what cause of action could be taken to save the Dragon.

I would like to suggest for hydration to do a 50/50 soak in Pedialyte and warm water. For a probiotic, I would use Benebac vs the acidophilus. The BeneBac have a better range of probiotics and better suited for an ailing Dragon.

I would also like to suggest a second opinion consult with Dr Douglas Mader, who has written many books on Reptiles and is an recognized authority. Dr Mader's clinic is in Marathon Key in FL, and may be a probelm to reach do to hurrican Irma, but worth a try. He does so consultations and would be the ideal second opinion: http://www.marathonvet.com/about-us/veterinarians/dr-doug-mader

If his clinic is up and running, he would be the one to look over all records.

I can see you are doing all possible at home. I would like to add if you can force feed Silk worms they conatain Serapates which is used in regulation Glucose levels. It may be worth a try to help lowe the Glucose levels. Silk worms are soft bodied and may be able to made into a slury to try and help.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. Unfortunately the tests are a must to determine the cause and a possible solution.

Joan

Ok thanks for the reply. So it is still possible it could just be an endocrine infection and not a tumor even thought the only thing wrong with the blood test was high glucose?

An infection in the endocrine system could cause elevated glucose levels. I have seen studies and pulled up several cases, but most did discuss a tumor and one discuss an abscess that cause the elevated levels. This is not a common issue and I was even hesitant to respond since so littke has been published or discussd about Diabetes in Dragons, where as in mammals it is an every day discussion. As I said, Dr Doug Mader would be great for a Consult as he is very knowlegeable and has written books on Dragons and Diseases.

I hope this information helps.

Joan

LafeberVet is another Exotic Group to consult with about the Dragon.

I do my Continuing Education through them and they are very current with care and treatment

1-***-***-****
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. CST

***@******.***

Joan

I would appreciate if you would update me on the findings by the Vet. The more i learn the more owners and animals I can help. Do you have any other questions about this I can assist with?

Joan