Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My turtle of about 25 years just died today. She had been…

My turtle of about...

My turtle of about 25 years just died today. She had been lethargic and lazy the last couple of days and sat on a log. I have a younger male turtle both are sliders. The water is clean and warm. There was no symptoms of respiratory disease. My other turtle looks very healthy as she did a few days ago. Should I be worried about my other turtle. Whatever is in the water is there and he is exposed to it. Too late for a clean of a 40 gallon tank. The dead turtle looks healthy. No sign of anything. I am worried about my other guy. Is there something I can put in the water to keep him healthy or was the other turtle maybe egg bound or getting old. The younger guy was courting.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your turtle. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your turtle?

Just want to keep the other turtle alive

9/14/2017
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

How old is the UVB, strength and brand?

was ahe trying to get out of the tank to lay prior to her demise?

What type of diet were you feeding?

Any swelling on the body?

Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
What is UVB. No effort to get out. She just found a log sat on it and died after a couple days. Feeding lettuce and turtle pellets. No selling
Phone call session started

Foods:

Escarole, Chickory, escarole, collard greens, mustard greens, meal worms crickets Phoenix worms.

Joan

Hi Joan.As I was thinking some more. I did shut the lights off on a timer for 8 to 10 hours a day to simulate day and night. Should I leave the lights on all the time. And to summarize the diet probably was the biggest factor that leads to kidney failure. The UV lights not being changed regular would be also contributing. I will chang this for my other guy. Also if he is not too badly along the kidney failure route I can reverse this with the changes. He is half the size of the female and ate mostly pellets. He doesn't like greens. She loved lettuce. Thanks you did make me understand what may have gone wrong. Also looking back eight years my other turtle died at the same age and she had the same symptoms. Wish I could have learnt by that. Thanks.
You don't need to call me again. Just answer by email.
Joan. Can you please follow up by email the other two follow up questions that I had after the phone call. Email us is good.

Light cycle should be 10-12 hours a day. They do need to be off for restime.

As far as damage it can be reverse with updating the care and proper diet.

I am so glad I was able to assist you and hope your boy will live an extened long life.

Joan

Thanks. I tried dandelions with him. Didn't like it. Have got the worms, calcium bars and new light. Will try to get some healthy greens he likes. He hate some lettuce but stuck mostly with the pellets. Petula hate lettuce mostly. I think that did it to her. Buried her In the flowers with a turtle ceramic on top of her. Will miss her absolute enthusiasm when she saw us. She really loved being with us. Thanks Al

If no veggies work some live plants will work just as well as the Veggies. We need to find something that works.

Joan

I meant ate. Not hate.

I thought so. I read Typo-neese

Joan

Carrots? Asparagus. What nutrient content am I looking for i. Greens For months and months Petula was on 90 percent lettuce probably. TJ 90 percent pellets.

Carrots and Asparagus are a no. We need to balance the CA:p ratio. this is a food chart for Dragons, but the green foods are acceptable and can use this for a guide: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Thanks. Will try the green ones. Squash is interesting.

THe hard squashed aid with passing stool.

Joan

Can't find any of the greens listed. Except dandelion. And we are huge in farming. Where would you get those plants where you live. I did get dried chicory would that work.

Collard greens, Mustard greens, escarole and Romaine should be avalable. I am in Florida, but we are recovering from Hurricane Irma.

I would ask your grocer to see if the can get any of the greens in fr you and if you cannot I would buy some plants for the aquarium, and separate and give one sprig a day of the favorite, since we know he will eat the plant.

Joan

Romaine is available but it was listed not as a daily green.

It is not as good as the others, but until you can find something he will eat, I want him to have some greens daily. They can act as a stand in for now. You may want to get the seeds and grow a turtle veggie garden.. I know may owners do it for teir Vegegetarian turtles, Lizards and tortposes.

Joan

Thanks. Will try the farmers market tomorrow. If only he would eat dandelion.

try the dandelion flower too he may just decide he likes it.

Joan