Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

I JUST SAVED ONE OF FOUR BOX TURTLES. Ants eating others.

Customer Question
I JUST SAVED ONE...

I JUST SAVED ONE OF FOUR BOX TURTLES . Ants eating others . What temp do I keep it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the box turtle?

About three hours hatched . I have it in my home but dont know how to care for it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the box turtle seem to hurt?

It isnt hurt . I just need to know how to care for it

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the box turtle's name and age?

Speedy and about three hours old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Speedy?

Three hours

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Speedy?

I dont know

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Reptile
9/14/2017
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What happened to this turtle?
2) Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?
3) Are you intending to release Speedy?
4) In what state do you reside?
5) How long have you had her?
6) Is she eating?

four eggs hatching yesterday in yard
Ants ate three .
I saved one .
Its in my home .
its 3 hours old
how do i care for it

I will need replies to the additional questions to help you.

1) Is there any reason she cannot be released at this time? Is she injured at all?

3) Are you intending to release Speedy in the near future?
4) In what state do you reside?
5) Is she eating?

west virginia
would like to turn loss
was afraid it would be cold

Keep in mind that wild turtles survive in nature at the temperatures in your area without any concerns. I would urge you to find an area that is safe and free the turtle as soon as you are able so that it can find food and water to sustain itself. Until then, keep the turtle in an area with the same temperatures that are being observed outdoors in your area. Typically 65-70 at night and 80-85 during the day. This should be easily attainable at room temp indoors overnight and with a light bulb during the day.

.

Checking in. How did Speedy do overnight?