Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My chameleon has a lump on his wrist, which is causing his

My chameleon has a lump on his wrist, which is causing his hand to be swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: Indy, 5 years. Panther chameleon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Indy?
Customer: I have never had any issues with him. He's still eating and drinking

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Diet?

Supplemets?

Can you post a picture of the leg?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All of those things are dialed in. He gets natural sunlight plus has a uvb bulb. I feed worms and crickets and dust periodically with a calcium that is phosphorus free. The complete enclosure and diet has been approved by 2 vets and 3 Cham breeders. This system will not let me add a picture unfortunately. Again, it's a huge lump on his wrist, under the skin, and is causing that hand to be uncomfortable and swollen.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hopefully this goes through. It's hard to get a good picture

Thank you! Calcium should be 5 days a week and a vitamin 2 days a week.

There are several possibilities for a lump like you described. Cancer, Chameleon gout, MBD or a an infection. Testing would need to be done to determine the actual casue.

I cannot even speculate which one of those it could be. I suggest you see a Herp Vet at a Veterinary College or see if your Herp Vet can do a consult with Dr Doug Mader in Marathon, Fl. once his clinic reopens since Hurrican Irma. He is one of the Best Reptile Vet in the states and well experienced in Chameleons and has written some books and medical reports on Medical issues.

Test would include Blood, Xrays, biopsy and MRI to determine the actual cause. of the lump. I would start adding the calcium and make sure your UVB is a Reptisun 10.0 as well up to date and less than 6 month old.

If I were to try and guss the cause by the picture, I would be doing a great injustice to you and your Chameleon.

Joan