Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My son's leopard gecko has loss of appetite, skin flaking,

Customer Question
My son's leopard gecko has...
My son's leopard gecko has loss of appetite, skin flaking, and eyes mostly closed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: The gecko is about 4 years old and her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?
Customer: My son ordered Fluker's Repta-Boost to try to stimulate her appetite, but all she wants to do is sit in her water dish and act listless. She used to hide in her rock cave, but she sits out, even during the day.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Reptile
9/11/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear that Leo is sick. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.Is there any discharge from her eyes?What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides of the cage?What substrate do you use on the cage floor?Have you noticed Leo breathing with her mouth open?Has she been passing normal droppings?Thank you.
there is discharge from her eyes. The temperature is 90 degrees with the day light on the night light is 80 degrees. Yes there is a warm side and cool side of the cage. We use pet store green/beige felt carpet. Yes, Leo is breathing with her mouth open. Yes, she has had normal droppings(dark colored with white).
I need to put my younger son to bed, so I can't talk now.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm going to go ahead and post some information for you as soon as I have it typed up. You can read it after you have your son settled in.

OK, I think we have two problems with your gecko. One of them we can use a first aid measure for. Sitting in the water dish for long periods often indicates dehydration. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your gecko for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their skin and vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. If you don't have any Pedialyte, go ahead and give a soak like this in plain water. Be sure to supervise closely.

The eye discharge and open mouth breathing are often symptoms of a respiratory infection. Appetite loss often accompanies such infections. This can quickly progress to life threatening pneumonia. There is no home treatment for respiratory infections. You'll need to see a reptile vet for a definite diagnosis and proper treatment. A safe antibiotic, such as Baytril, is often prescribed. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

In summary, I recommend a long soak tonight, and making a vet appointment tomorrow. If you have more questions, just let me knwo. I hope your gecko will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist