Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Is this a instant chat? Bearded dragon, Shes a female a

Customer Question
Hi is this a...

Hi is this a instant chat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Bearded dragon

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dragon?

Shes a female a couple yrs old. She was fine yesterday and when her lights came on today shes really pale with a couple black stripes, shes unresponsive. I'm not sure shes still alive but her temp with the digital thermometer gun showed in the 80s

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dragon seem to hurt?

I'm trying to figure out if shes alive and if she is what to do and what happened

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Yes her coloring is really pale and has a couple black stripes and I think her beard is black. And she's totally unresponsive

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dragon eating normally?

Yes shes been eating fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dragon having trouble peeing or pooing?

I don't think so, she just had a bm yesterday or the day before

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dragon behaving differently?

Shes not in her house, shes laying in the middle of the tank and shes not moving or responding. I can't even tell if shes breathing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name?

Lizzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lizzy?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Reptile
9/10/2017
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

When you touch her eyes or above the eye, does she react at all?

If you pick her up, does she move?

If you place her on her back, does she move?

No responses, shes limp and cold even under her heat lamp and we can't see her breathing. Is there anyway shes not dead?

It would be rather unlikely given the fact that she's not responding. The best way to know would be to take her to a local ER clinic and have a nurse listen to her chest with a stethoscope. If no heart sounds are noted, she has passed.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in, Customer. Did you have the opportunity to have a veterinary nurse listen for a heart beat?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse