Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My Red Eared Slider has a little orange spot on his neck

My Red Eared Slider has a little orange spot on his neck sheath. Yesterday it was just a flat spot of discoloration, but today it's bigger - more noticeable. Is this something I should worry about?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A turtle.
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the turtle?
Customer: He seems totally healthy. Whatever this spot is, it's not affecting his actions in any way. Also the tank is at 75-78 degrees and he has a basking station that he uses every day.
Hello and welcome. My name is Anna, and I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'll be happy to help you today.Is it possible to send a picture of the orange spot? If so, you can upload one by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will up.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried to take the best photo I could, but it was hard to zoom in and keep the phone in focus. Pls let me know if these photos will work - and if not, I can take more. Skates is pretty patient with the whole thing. Thanks so much!!

Thank you. I'll take a look right now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks!!

Your pictures came out very clear. I'm going to ask you to try something. Use a fingernail to see if you can gently scrape the orange area. Does any of the orange come off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't scrape any of the orange stuff off.

OK. It looks like a fungus, but if that's what it is, at least a little should have come off. I'm going to type up some information for you, and will post it as soon as I finish. I appreciate your patience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much Anna!

Thank you for waiting. Since the spot is not affecting his normal eating and behavior patterns in any way, this is not an emergency situation. There are several possibilities. It could be a tiny wound that has gotten infected. It could be a growth/tumor of some sort. There could be a parasite.

A tumor seems most likely. There won't be anything you can do about that on your own. Tumors can be benign or malignant. Malignant ones are less common. They can be any color. You can watch this orange spot over the weekend. If it continues to grow, I would schedule a vet visit early next week.If it stays the same, and still doesn't affect him in any way, you can take a wait and see approach. However, if he were mine, I'd schedule a vet appointment anyway. No matter what it is, it will be easier to deal with in the early stages. If you need a vet, this link will take you to a directory of them:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope this will be soemthing minor.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna