Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My bearded dragon's name is Spike and I purchased him from

Customer Question
Hello everyone. My bearded dragon's...
Hello everyone. My bearded dragon's name is ***** ***** I purchased him from PetSmart yesterday. He has been closing one eye and I don't know why ūüė™ I have a compact fluorescent reptisun 10.0 and a 100 watt heat lamp. Thank u!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/8/2017
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 3 months ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.

Is there any discharge from the eye?

Is Spike eating well?

How many inches above the tank is the UVB light?

Did this just start after you brought him home?

What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?

Thank you.

No there is no discharge. It's not a turtle it's a bearded dragon and I got him last night so I haven't really fed him yet. Under the basking light is 108 for him and it's about a foot away from him. Thank u!

Thank you for getting back. I'm sorry about the 'turtle' thing. I know Spike is a beardie. I was thinking about a question I had just done for a turtle, and accidentally typed that. I immediately tried to edit it, but apparently it went through the other way.

Your temperature in the warm area is perfect, and so is the distance for the lights. There are a couple of possibilities for what is going on. Spike may have just been coming down with an eye infection when you bought him, and now it's starting to cause him some pain. He may have gotten a bit of substrate in his eye. Finally, sometimes the compact lights can cause eye irritation. Regardless of the cause, you can rinse the eye several times a day with plain saline solution (the kind made for contact lenses). Turn off the UVB light, but leave the basking light on, for just one day to see if there is any change in the eye. If you are using a loose substrate, such as sand or crushed walnut, switch to a solid one like reptile carpet, ceramic tile or even paper towels.

If these measures don't help within a couple of days, or if Spike develops more symptoms, you'll need to see a reptile vet. Watch for appetite loss, lethargy, discharge from the eye, sneezing, breathing with his mouth open all the time. If you need a vet, this link will take you to a directory of them:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope the first aid measures will be all it takes to solve the problem.

Anna

Hi Nazih,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bearded Dragon. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist