Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I gave one of my turtles to a friend,and yesterday he was

Hi I gave one of...
Hi I gave one of my turtles to a friend,and yesterday he was swollen around his front legs and it was all white,he had 1 lump on the side of his neck under the skin and had no energy,he died last night,my other 2 I kept are healthy as?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your turtle?
Customer: The only other thing is he wasn't eating either xx
9/7/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What type of turtle was this?

How long did they have him?

Can you share pictures of the swelling and white coloration?

Murray river short neck turtle,they had him for just over a month and I didn't take a picture sorry xx
I had him for 2 years before them and nothing like this happened and my other 2 are healthy as xx

1) How old was he?

2) Any medical issues during that time?

3) What diet was being offered?

4) What was the tank water temp?

5) Was a heater being used?

6) What was the basking temp?

7) How big was the tank?

8) When was the last water change? What percentage?

9) What bulbs were being used?

10) Do they offer any vitamin supplementation? If so, what? How often?
11) Were only the front limbs swollen?
12) Was he in with any other animals?
13) For what reason was be originally rehomed?

I'm not sure of most those answers as I wasn't there,but they fed him turtle dinner,a square frozen turtle meat,and turtle pellets,didn't have a heater,the tank had a bit of Algi in it when I seen it last night before he died,I had him for 2 years and haven't had health issues with any of my 3 turtles,I had to give one away as they are all getting too big for their bath pond,so I kept 2 he was on his own in their tank for just over a month,and yes just the front was swollen pussie and white,and a lil lump under his skin xx no lights,but I didn't either and all were fine when I had them.

The best information I can give you is that it's likely his husbandry changed from your home to their home. It's uncommon for turtles to be doing well and then die after a month of care unless something changes in their environment which leaves them ill. I am suspicious that there may have been a skin infection if there was pus present and the skin may well have been dying. It's possible he became septic if a skin infection was present. Your friends may want to consider a necropsy if they want an exact determination on the cause of death.

Thank you for your time,but they won't afford to get him checked out,but yes I thought it strange him and my other 2 turtles have been healthy as for 2 years,and when they first got him a month ago he was stillness happy n healthy too till now xx what can cause a skin infection? Coz yes it's like the skin was dead before he died ��

Poor husbandry can cause it, such as improper water temperature or a dirty tank. Sometimes the presence of algae can indicate stagnant water and, thus, may be an indication of poor living conditions. The pH of the water may also have been off, predisposing him to infection. It's all speculation at this point, but I suspect these were contributing factors.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse