He stays in same spot we left him in until we move him or pick him up. Oh. Lol. Bearded dragon. Took him from a friend

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He stays in same spot we left him in until we move him or pick him up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Oh. Lol. Bearded dragon. Took him from a friend with two, this one was getting best up. The dominant one bit his fingers and toes off so we took him to get away. Good home, nice habitat. Doesn't poop much, doesn't move much. Worried
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes, we took a bearded dragon from a friend who had two. This one got beat up by the other. We took him to give good home. He doesn't move, or poop much.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?
Customer: He only eats worms. Won't touch veggies. He's only pooped twice in the two months we had him. He moves more when we let him out. Walks around on couch, but not much. He's alert, and like at me but just worried about never moving from spot we left him in the night before.
Answered by Anna in 1 hour 5 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
Sorry. I'm typing on my phone. He looks at me, likes to sit on my chest. But when in habitat, doesn't move. 46 gallon. I need more lighting. Tho he moves away from basking spot, so he's not needing heat. We love in Florida. He just stays in spot all day and night until we move him, and only likes worms, doesn't poop much. 3 or 4 years old we think.
Customer
Sorry. I'm typing on my phone. He looks at me, likes to sit on my chest. But when in habitat, doesn't move. 46 gallon. I need more lighting. Tho he moves away from basking spot, so he's not needing heat. We love in Florida. He just stays in spot all day and night until we move him, and only likes worms, doesn't poop much. 3 or 4 years old.
Customer
Sorry. I'm typing on my phone. He looks at me, likes to sit on my chest. But when in habitat, doesn't move. 46 gallon. I need more lighting. Tho he moves away from basking spot, so he's not needing heat. We love in Florida.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. It was kind of you to take in this poor beardie. It sounds like he has some serious problems. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take to help him.Sometimes dragons will move away from the basking area, not because they are too warm, but because sick lizards seek out darkness. What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?What kind of worms do you feed - meal worms, silk worms, Phoenix worms, etc.?What brand of UVB light do you have?What substrate do you use on the cage floor?Does the dragon receive a calcium supplement?Has a vet ever examined him?Thank you.
Customer
Was feeding him large meal worms, store ran out, have him some super worms, liked them too. Won't eat anything else. Flooring is a fake desert floor, rock gravel like from local reptile store. 10. UV from zoo med, 150 heat bulb. Since we got the screen for top it's only 95 deg in hot spot, 85 other side. I know we need better lights. It's a deep dish tank we got from friend. Don't have a lot to spend. We're spending as we go. Was going to buy a long UV light to reach all the way across cage, and get another heat lamp. It's 46 gallon deep tank. Probably not perfect temps.
Customer
Not got a supplement yet. Or Vet. We are planning on both
Customer
Person we got him from said he always been lazy. Just say around. Maybe trauma from the mean beardie. Has no fingers on one hand and one foot and half tail gonna too
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Customer
Half tail gone too. He likes to chill out on me as I lay and watch TV. He turns around to have tv too. I love the little guy and want to help him. I'm 51 year old man and I look at him and cry, lol, and tell him ill take care of him from now on. My wife laughs at me. Thinks he's just lazy. I will take to vet soon as I can afford.

Thank you for waiting. That's cute how you care for him. I think you have a pretty good idea of the things you need to do for him. 85*F on the col side is fine, but 95* for the hot spot is too chilly.

A beardie who is cold will be lethargic, not want to eat a lot, and may even try to hide. The basking spot should be 105*F to 110*F. The latest research on bearded dragons has shown that they can't even begin to digest their food properly until their internal body temperature reaches 98*F. Being cold-blooded, the only way for that to happen is for them to lie in a very hot basking area.You can increase the temperature by using a higher wattage bulb in the basking light fixture, lowering t he fixture itself (but not so low that he can be burned on it), or by adding a second fixture. You have a big tank, so that may be necessary. If you need a second fixture, you don't have to buy something expensive from a pet store.If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a clip-on metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware and home improvement stores sell similar light fixtures as work lights.

The fact that he doesn't move much or poop very often are big concerns. There are two possible causes. The loose substrate can be accidentally ingested and cause a blockage. It's better to use a solid substrate, such as reptile carpet, or ceramic tiles. The worm she is eating are an even bigger concern. They are not a good food because they contain too much chitin and can't be digested properly. That chitin builds up in the digestive system and causes impaction. They're OK for some other lizards, but not for beardies. Crickets that are no bigger than the space between your beardie’s eyes area better choice, but if he won't eat them, there are better worms you can choose from.. Silk worms and Phoenix worms are are excellent foods. At this age, he also should be eating quite a few greens. I'm going to give you a link to a reputable and easy to understand site for information on feeding because there is too much for me to explain here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

When you're ready to see a vet, this site has a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I would get a calcium supplement as soon as possible. Prey insects should be dusted in plain calcium powder 5 days a week. Calcium powder is cheap. Here is an online source for one that doesn't have any unneeded ingredients:

http://www.flukerfarms.com/vitaminsandhealth.aspx

I'm also going to give you a first aid measure to take to help him poop. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants), and some prune baby food. Drop a small dollop right on the end of his snout. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If he does, wait about 45 minutes. If he won't lick it off, you can go right to the next step. Prepare a shallow warm (100*F) bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with him still in the water, gently massage her underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help him poop. Be sure to supervise closely. You can repeat this again tomorrow.

Because pet stores give out so much incorrect information, I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. Joan has many years experience keeping and rescuing beardies.Her care sheet is used on some reputable websites, so you may have even seen it before. I suggest that you use the care sheet as a check list to provide the best possible care for your beardie. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your dragon will thrive and enjoy many years of TV watching.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet
Bearded dragons should be housed alone.
Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:
0-3 months- baby 3-12 months-juvenile 12-18 months- sub adult 18 months + -adult

Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
A hide of some sort like a cave.
A food dish and water dish.
Plastic spray bottle
Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-115* degrees F (40.5 - 46*C)
Cool side: 85-90 (29.5 - 32*C)

Adults: Warm basking spot: 105-110*F (40.5- 43*C)
Cool side: 80-85 (26.6 - 29.5*C)
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed meal worms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,.
A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.

What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be wax worms, super worms, and tomato/Goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.

Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens. A baby eats 50-75 crix a day depending on the size of the crickets. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.

Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.

Walnut Shell Graphic:

http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm

Customer
Ok thank you.
You're welcome.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.