Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My Sulcata is moaning when he tries to pee, and he is not…

My Sulcata is moaning...

My Sulcata is moaning when he tries to pee, and he is not eating. He's about 15 years old, is an outside tortoise. He has a temperature controls house that he lives in.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the tortoise's name?

Pokey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the tortoise?

Pokey Dunn

8/17/2017
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you.
I do not like speaking on the phone, I prefer doing things in writing (text or email).
Thank you.
Thank you for waiting. Pokey us exhibiting sone worrisome symptoms. He may need to see a vet, but I'll give you something to try first. Tortoises eliminate both feces and urates (the reptile equivalent of pee). They only have the vent - the one opening where both types of waste come out. That means when they have trouble eliminating, which the moaning indicates, it could be constpation or it could be kidney related. It can also be dehydration. That's what we'll try treating.Buy some Pedialyte(yes,the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. Make it deep enough to cover Pokey's vent. Soak him for 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely. If he wants to drink some of his bath, that is fine.A soak like this can serve two purposes. One is that tortoises will often owe or poop while in the bath. The other is that they can absorb fluids and electrolytes through their skin and vents. That helps with dehydration. I would give him one long soak now, and another later this evening. If there is no change after the second one, it would be best to see your vet tomorrow. If you don't have a vet, I'll be back in just a moment with a site that has a directory of reptile vets.
As for speaking on the phone, I didn't request that. It's something JustAnswer sends out automatically. You can just ignore it. I'll be right back with the vets.
This site has a list of Canadian reptile vets, listed province by province:http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/canrepvt.htmIf you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Pokey will be fine.Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Anna,Thank you for your time, just a couple more questions. Do you have the vet list for California and should the water be warm or is cold okay?
It's best if the water is about 80*F. That would feel slightly cool or lukewarm to you. It doesn't have to be exact, but cold or very warm water would be a shock to a tortoise's system.The information I was given said you are in Canada. I have no idea why. Anyway, you can go to this site, scroll down to either Southern or Northern California, and you can see that vet list. There are a lot of reptile vets on California, so one should be easy to find.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!