Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I have a snake photo I need identified. Can you help? It's…

I have a snake...

I have a snake photo I need identified. Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the snake?

It's not a pet. It's a snake I found in my home in upstate NY. I need to know what it is to see if it is poisonous.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did you see what the snake ate?

No. Saw it quickly. Took a quick photo and the snake went and hid again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the snake?

It is over 3 feet long and I just need to know what kind it is.

8/17/2017
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'll be happy to help. You can upload your photo by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.Thank you.
The photos just came through. I'll take a look at them, then get back to you. I appreciate your patience.
Hello???
It is very important for me to know if the snake is poisonous. This is my home with children and pets.
Anna, Are you still there?
I was studying your photo to try to distinguish between two types of snakes, but to do that, I would need a clear shot of the head. I'll tell you the two possibilities.
Those are the only photos I have. What do you think? Is it poisonous?
In your part of the state, there is one poisonous snake you woukd be likely to encounter. That is the copperhead. They have markings like the snake in the photo, but the head has a very copper- colored hue, and I don't see that in the photo.The Eastern hog nose also has the same markings. It is harmless. It is more common than the copperhead.
I know it's hard to get a photo under the circumstances. Snakes don't wait around for us to get a good picture. But without being able to see the head, we can't make a positive ID. Tge snake is less likely to be poisonous, just because the copperheads are not that common, but with children and pets in the house, we don't want to take chances. Make sure the kids and pets stay in a different room, as far as possible from where you saw the snake. The best thing to do would be to call a snake removal company. If you'll tell me your city, I'll try to find sone help for you.
We are in White Lake, NY. Who would you recommend?
Any chance it is a milk snake. Those are common around here.
After seeing the head up close, it does not look like a copperhead. The hot nose is still a possibility. I think you are right that it is probably a milk snake. I suspected that to begin with, but the guide I checked first didn't list them as being in upstate New York. I just checked the DNR, and they are indeed present. Regardless, you don't want it in your house. I'll look for a removal company and be back.
It doesn't look like there are a lot of choices. Some companies specialize in insects, and one in raccoons. United is obe that says they serve the whole state of New York, and they do trap snakes. They give phone or online estimates. The number is ***** Here is their website:http://www.unitedwildlife.com/contactUsform2.cfmLet me know it they don't work out, and I'll search for others,
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Hi again. I wanted to give you some more information that explains the difficulty in getting a positive ID on a snake. Many of them are hard to iD, even in real life. That's for two reasons. When most species first hatch or are born, they look very different from an adult. The rat snake is an excellent example. A young one would look a lot like what you saw. The first picture I will post shows a hatchling. However, by the time a rat snake would be 3 feet long, it would be almost all black, as you'll see in the second picture I posted.

Other snakes come in different colors, even as adults. Copperheads vary from looking very similar to the snake you saw to being a very coppery hue all over. Youngsters have yellow tails. The third picture is a copperhead.

Milk snakes are related to rat snakes. Many of them look a lot like the young rat snake throughout their lives. However, they come in a huge variety of colors, ranging from the pattern of the snake you saw to snakes with bright orange and yellow bands. The final photo I posted is the most common color of milk snake.

The Eastern hognose also comes in a huge variety of colors, ranging from patterned like the snake you saw to solid gray to bright colors. It is distinguished by its nose, which is broad and flat. After you sent the zoom-ins of the head, it did not have that appearance, nor did it have the coppery color on the head. After taking all of that into account, you probably have a milk snake.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist