Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My musk turtle is not eating. I tried a variety of pellets,

My musk turtle is...

My musk turtle is not eating. I tried a variety of pellets, live food, and frozen food but she still won't eat. It's been over a month. I took her to the vet and she couldn't find anything wrong and suggested an x-ray. Do you have any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the musk turtle's name and age?

Sofie. I think she's about 1 year and 6 months. I'm not sure though. We found her outside a house where there are no bodies of water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sofie?

Three weeks ago, she was 102 grams compared to the 94 grams she weighed 6 months before so she is growing.

8/14/2017
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of Sofie's problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.

What kinds of lighting and heating equipment do you use?

How old is your UVB light?

What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and in the water?

Thank you.

Hi,I have a basking light and a UVB light that is probably 6 months old (I'm replacing this today). She is in a 30 gallon tank that is always between 78 and 80 degrees. I'm unsure of how hot her basking spot is right now but I'm pretty sure it's over 80 degrees (probably around 85).
Thank you for getting back to me. A lot of times when this happens, it's because the turtle is chilly. That doesn't seem to be the case. Do make sure your basking area really is about 85* though.Will you tell me what live foods you've tried?
I've tried a Minnow, live red worms, and live mealworms. I've also tried feeding her frozen bloodworms, a frozen mix of meat and veggies, pellets, dried worms, dried shrimp, leaves (romaine and spinach), strawberries, and carrots. She's always been a picky eater but she would eat pellets for the most part. She generally runs away from the live food placed in the tank.
Thank you. You have good temperatures and have tried an assortment of foods. There are a few more you might want to attempt: cooked chicken or beef liver, high quality canned cat or dog food ( the kind that cones in chunks ), cooked beef liver, and watermelon. If none of those tempt Sofie, it would be best to take your vet's advice and get an x-ray. She could have an intestinal blockage of some sort, or even s polyp or tumor. Those things all can cause appetite loss.If the x-ray doesn't detect a problem, blood work would be the next step. Liver or kidney disease can also cause appetite loss, and blood work detects those.If additional tests don't reveal anything, you can ask your vet about objecting an appetite stimulant. B vitamins can be used that way, but there are others.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Sofie will be fine.Anna
Thanks!
You're very welcome.
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist