Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We have a three year old Chinese water dragon that fell from

Customer Question

We have a three year old Chinese water dragon that fell from its hammock and was stunned under water for maybe 5 minutes before we realized what had happened. We revived her and she ate like regular. This was maybe a week ago. However since she has become very listless and had a loss of appetite which is rare for her. She lays her head down and has not dedicated since we fed her Sunday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the head will be able to digest that. What is the head's name?
Customer: I'm thinking she may have developed a respiratory infection from inhaling some the water. There are no reptile vets near us so we are at a loss as to what to do.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the reptile?
Customer: She has not developed mouth breathing and he eyes are clear. She has just become very listless. And I'm scared to wait to to treat until other, more severe symptoms arise and then it may be too late.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me how old her UVB bulb is, strangth?

Any bubbles from the nose or mouth?

Diet?

Supplements?

Any bubbles from the nose or mouth?

listen to breathing does it seem labored?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We just replaced her uvb bulb about a month ago. It's a 17 watt strip not a coil bulb. No bubbles from the nose or mouth. We feed her mealworms and crickets every other day, Dubia roaches once a week and hornwirms maybe once a month. We dust all her insects with calcium.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Breathing seems very wispy and light compared to normal. No mouth breathing yet. No bubbles. A little whistle when breathing out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her scales and eyes are still bright and clear
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you! We may be looking at the early signs of a Respiratory issue. When a Reptile aspirates fluids into the lungs, we see Aspiration Pneumonia occur. I am concerned we may have the early onset and with Her not eating and lethargic, she could go down quicly because of her compromised immune system. We also need to look at a possibility of a Parasite bloom. She was stressed from the fall which in times of stress, the parasite load in the gut can bloom, also adding to her feeling poorly. With this being said I have to recommend a Herp Vet visit. I would be happy to locate some for you with a State or Country, Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was reading online that there are amoxicillin drops over the counter. Would this be something we can use go treat? Is the dosing for this based on size or age? We are in Gaithersburg MD
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Ammoxi is not a Drug of choice for Reptiles. All medication is based on the condition, and weight of the water Dragon. I do not suggest trying anything at home. Rge Vet will be able to do a thorough exam and if there are some underlying factors treat accordingly. Giving an antibiotic can cause further lethargy, diarrhea and dehydration if not the correct one.

These are Herp Vets in MD:

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/maryland.shtml

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/maryland.html

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not compensated by the site until I am rated.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Checking in to see if you had your Water Dragon into the Vet today. How is it doing?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan