Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

ONE SWOLLEN BACK LEG, checked for hair wrapped around it and…

Customer Question
ONE SWOLLEN BACK LEG ...

ONE SWOLLEN BACK LEG

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Checked for hair wrapped around it and looked over did not see anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the reptile's name and age?

Believed to be close to 20 years was doing very well until a few days we did recently put him in a larger tank

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the reptile's name?

Well it has a female name myrtle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the reptile?

He doesn't seem to be as active but seems to be eating ok

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Reptile
7/31/2017
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a few pictures of what you're seeing?

I'm not at home to take a picture right now

Can you send one along when you return?

I will send one asap.

I'll keep an eye out.

Thank you for the picture, JACustomer. I received it from customer service today.

1) Did I understand correctly that he is 20 years old? Can you give me some history on him?

2) How long have you personally owned him?

3) What foods are given and how often?

4) What is the tank water temp?

5) Is a heater being used?

6) What is the basking temp?

7) How big is the tank?

8) When was the last water change? What percentage?

9) What bulbs are you using?

10) Do you offer any vitamin supplementation? If so, what? How often?
11) Is he housed alone?
12) Has the swelling worsened since noticing it? Are you seeing any oozing? Firm masses? Open wounds?