Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Have a box turtle that suddenly won't extend his front leg.

Customer Question
Have a box turtle...

Have a box turtle that suddenly won't extend his front leg. I've looked as much as I can see for a piece of bedding/bark is stuck in there. He had not been handled prior. Will he need an X-ray ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes I have and I see nothing unusual there or around his claws

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the box turtle's name and age?

Sammie approx 30 yrs old. Very small about the size of a hand palm

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the box turtle's name?

Sammie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammie?

He's eating and getting in and out of his water just fine on 3 legs but I'm worried he's in pain

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Reptile
7/31/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have een a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

Where is the turtle housed?

If inside do you have a UVB light, linear tube or compact coil strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Diet?

Suppliments?

if you posk at the leg can you see any movement?

Do you soak him?

Joan