Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Trying to determine how to treat stick tail in a leopard

Customer Question

Trying to determine how to treat stick tail in a leopard gecko.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the leopard's name and age?
Customer: I don't know how old he is, he was given to me by someone in the community. His name depends on which of my students you ask -- he's a classroom pet in a high school science class.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the leopard?
Customer: He managed to get out of his enclosure a few months ago and was missing for about 3 weeks. When I found him, he was dehydrated and skinny. I've never been able to get him to gain weight. He tends toward anorexia. Every once in a while, I can get him to eat a couple of wax worms or hornworms if I hand feed him. He mostly refuses food. His weight loss is likely at a critical level.
JA: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the leopard's name?
Customer: It's not drinking... it's eating. leopard?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

Temps in enclosure?

Heat source?

Supplements?

Have you had a fecal done?

Joan