Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My 22 russian tortoise has stopped eating. He has his heat

Customer Question

My 22 russian tortoise has stopped eating. He has his heat lamp if he wants it and the free range of the house. I leave a tray of shallow water for him to soak in, he has a sand pit to dig in and a variety of what are usually his favourite foods, but he won't eat. I'm getting really worried about him. My vet has admitted to knowing virtually nothing about tortoises so not sure what to do. I was thinking of rehoming a female russian, could he be wanting a mate?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the tortoise?
Customer: We re-homed him 2 years ago. He had been kept in a tank for 19 years and then left in a shed. He was very under weight and de-hydrated when we got him and had a break in his back leg which hadn't healed in line. it took a long while to get him to eat and drink. we recently went away and a family member looked after him. I know he was fed carrot, butternut squash and red pepper, which we hadn't given him before, could he have parasites?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years,

Does he have a UVB light, linear tube or compact coil strength, age and brand?

Diet Any grass hay and weeds beside the fresh veggies?

Supplements?

Teamps in room and in basking area?

I can locate some Reptile specialists for you.

Joan