Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I just got it home today from Repticon. The vendor looked

Customer Question

I just got it home today from Repticon. The vendor looked questionable but i took a chance and took a baby blue iguana home. She perked up on the ride home when i stuck her in the window, but since i brought her home and set up her cage and put her in it, she isn't moving at all
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the baby. What is the baby's name and age?
Customer: I named her Khaleesi, im not certain of the age, but she's a baby she fits entirely in my small hand im going to try to get her somewhere tomorrow morning, and if i cant then definitely Monday, I just hope its just "new place"jitters
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the baby?
Customer: i dont have any info except the vendor name, honestly the woman had what looked like a meth rash around her mouth... so it was quite questionable, but at the least i wanted to get her out of there more because of that
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

Can you tell me about the current set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand and age?

Full spectrum basking spotlight?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient tenp and cool side?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just brought it home today. I bought the reptisun 5.0 uvb and a 50w basking ( I just ordered a much warmer one to be delivered tomorrow) I bought supplements but I hadn't fed it because they said they fed her today already. She fits in the palm of my hand. After reaching out to you guys I peaked in on her and she's dead. I'm horrified. This was a grief pet I just lost my mother in April. I am absolutely devastated. I'm not even mad about the money. When I bought her I thought she looked a bit listless - but I was hoping I could bring her home and get her to the vet on Monday and get her in great shape but I guess the horrible care she got, she didn't even last that long. People are horrible why anyone would mistreat or neglect an animal is just unbearable and unfair. Thanks for responding.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

So sorry for the loss. Stress and paraistes were probably what killed her. I do suggest if you get another reptile go with a Reptisun 10.0 the 5.0 is not strong enough for most reptiles. If The Repticon is going on tomorrow, I would go back and let them know. There are good breeders and owners out there. Sorry for both losses and my sincerest condolences.

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. I'm going back to return it tomorrow morning before work. I think after the day I've had I'll just wait a few months and maybe try again later. Today was much more than I could handle. I'm one of those sappy animal lovers so this really bothers me. I've never lost a pet to anything other than old age - lol and this wasn't the best time to find out what this feels like.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I understand. When ready come back here and ask for me and I will help you get prepared properly with caresheet and instructions to get a good start and give your pet a nice long life.

Joan