Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a blue-tongued skink and she's kept herself buried

Customer Question

I have a blue-tongued skink and she's kept herself buried for awhile, and it was strange today when I came in to feed her and she was sitting on top of the bedding before her light was even turned on. She didn't really seem like herself. She hasn't really been eating for a little bit which concerned me. I was able to hand-feed her 2 of her little wet food chunks but she hasn't touched her dish at all today since. I noticed she was shedding, so I'm a little suspicious that that may be part of why she hasn't been eating, but I'm not sure. Also, I noticed that one of her front arms has a very swollen bump on the bottom of her hand, and it's pretty good sized. Should I be concerned? Not sure if it's infected or something more serious.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the skink can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the skink?
Customer: I don't think so, I've had her since 2009, and if I remember correctly that isn't too old for a skink
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech fir 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB bulb, age, linear tube or compact coil, strength and age of bulb?

Can you spot a picture of the leg?

Joan