Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Our lovely Leopard Gecko escaped from his viv but has

Customer Question

Hi, Our lovely Leopard Gecko escaped from his viv but has reappeared after 3 weeks! We are so pleased. However, he is looking very dull in colour, thinner than before and my main concern is that the last 2cm of his tail have shrivelled down....not disappeared or dropped, just shrivelled. The tail looks almost brittle at the end.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the leopard?
Customer: He is eating well, I am hand feeding him and he has had locusts and wax worms - he was extremely thirsty and is drinking. His tongue is also a very bright pink/red at the tip.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and Have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

I am sorry to hear your Gecko is having problems. WE need to start with a soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water soak. It does not have to be deep, but enough to cover the belly and vent area. This will hydrate the Gecko. The lighter color can indicate a shed is coming, so the soak will help. If she is eating make sure she is getting gutloaded and calcium dusted prey as well as extra calcium in her tank. As far as the tail the dead tissue will need to be amputated above the area that is dead. The good thing is it will regrow. It seems the tail was injured and the tissues died turning into a tail rot. WE need to stop the progression of the problem. If YOu need a Herp Vet I can locate soem for you with a State or Country. Please hit reply for a Herp Vet and to discuss the information.

Joan