I was just reading a prior question on a bearded that threw up worms. The answer was pretty straight forward as to what

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I was just reading a prior question on a bearded that threw up worms. The answer was pretty straight forward as to what to feed and when. The Pedialyte bath is my question. Our drank a ton of water in her bath 2 days ago and threw up a little of that. Yesterday my husband gave her a couple too many superworms I think and she threw up 2. She is alert, not lethargic at all so I dont thing she is ill, just too much ingested. Would a electrolyte bath still be suggested?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the reptile?
Customer: She is a little over a year old.
Answered by Jav917 in 19 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40+ years.

A Soak a few times a week is important for a Dragon and would be a good ideea if the Dragon has reguritated or thrown up.

AS Far as Super worms and meal worms they should not be fed to dragons, They are not digestible because of the hard outter shell made of Chitin and on a second note they are too high in fat and have been found to cause liver disease when fed long term. There are betteroptions. Silk worms, crickets, Phoenix , dubia roaches and horned worms are much better feeders.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
We were finding it hard to get her to eat her greens so we would use the worms to coerce her to get a bite of veggies as well as the worms. Crickets wont sit still :)
We can go back to the silk or horned worms, they were tough to keep alive for any length of time. I can give the electrolyte bath when I get home tonight. How many days should we include that with her soak? As a sub adult if she is not taking in the 80% veggie to 20% protein what should we do?

Since she is under a year she is still on 80% prey and 20% Veggies. You can try Damdeion greens and flowers, and you can also try a fruit baby food as a salad dressing. Anothr favorite is Butternut squash mixed in feed it raw in the veggies. Some times it takes tough love with the veggies. Phoenix worms are another great feeder. Make sure you gut load prior to feeding that way the Dragon is getting veggies in the food source.

Joan

Joan

Customer
She is actually 15 months now. Someone at the herp store suggested using "blended" crickets as dressing for the greens to get her going on those.
Regarding the bath with electrolytes, just do that for the next couple to make sure she stays hydrated or are we not concerned with the 2 small times she threw up?

I like to give a soak a few times a week. It hels them pass stool and hydrates them. Once the soak is over we rinse with clear water. So basically you can give a soak at any time. It does not hurt them, helps with stool and keeps then hydrated. The big issue I have is with the sure worms and meal worms, they are not diegetible and cause more harm than good.

Joan

Customer
Ok, we soak her every other day actually.
One final question on shedding since I have you here. She sheds in stages. As of late just feet and legs. She has a band around her neck (like a scarf) that looks like it needs to shed but is taking much longer then the other spots did. It has been like that a couple of weeks. Its just white, normal?

The soak will help with the shedding. The white around the neck may be a precursor to a body shed. Dragons will blow themselves up to get read for shed to help relieve pressure of the shed. Unfortunately they cannot do that on feet and legs.

Joan

Customer
Interesting. Ok great thanks for the help.

You are welcome. YOu may even see a Dragon pop it eyes. It is scarey but they do it for facial shed. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service. I am not paid by the site until my service is rated.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.