My veiled Chameleon is acting strange she will not eat and she seems weak and her legs are not working had her to a vet

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My veiled Chameleon is acting strange she will not eat and she seems weak and her legs are not working had her to a vet but that did nothing said to me wormer her and make sure all the lights and she getting waters I can get her to drink but not eat
Answered by Jav917 in 9 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles 40+ years.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

What is the strength of the UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand?

Full spectrum basking spotlight?

Diet?

Supplements?

Automister?

Temps in basking are and ambiet temp?

Was the Vet a Herp Vet?

Was hse eating before being wormed?

Whatmedication did they use?

Did they do a fecal?

Joan

Customer
enclosure ...
Her cage is all tin and window screen material
I have big ficus plant and some drift wood and vines in it
24" x 24" x 48"UVB light ...I use a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb 18-in - T8 Bulb - 15 WattFull spectrum basking spotlight....Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp, 100 WattDiet....
cricket and super wormsSupplements ...
Zoo Med Reptivite w/ d3
1x times a week
Zoo med reptivite Calcium Powder without D3 X2 a weekAutomister.....
Yes on a times 4 times a day for 1 minute
And a automatic leaf dripper that runs 24/7Temps in basking area are 80-90 12 hours a dayambiet temp...
Cool spot around 70ish at night during the day probably around the same at the bottom of cageWas the Vet a Herp Vet? Monday but was a horrible vet did not know her $&"@ from a whole in a log told me it was male not female and it definitely is female and yes it was the right kind of it just not a good one . I have a appointment Wednesday at 9 AM with a very professional herp vet.Was hse eating before being wormed?
No she stoped eating that's why I was concerned but eat on Saturday 3 crickets and drank 6 drops of water and pooped
But I stoped the meds it was making her weaker I think they did no fecal just gave me the meds to give her 5 days 0.05 cc by mouth (panacur 100 mg)
Whatmedication did they use?
Did they do a fecal? No
Customer
Can you please recommend plants, vitamin brands, lighting brands money is on object I want the best for my chameleon.
Customer
Picture was the day of the vet
Customer
The second pictures is today
Customer
third

Thank you for all the Information and pictures. To be honest your husbandry is excellent. The only thing I would change with suplements is to use a Plain calcium vs one with D3. The reason for this is that you are using a good UVB light that metabolizes calcium into D3 and the Reptivite has D3, so too much D3 can cause D3 toxicity.

As Far as wormers, none should have been used without a fecal. All reptiles carry a parasite load which is normal, but without a fecal there is no way of telling if is is out of the normal range. I would suggest blood work and an Xray instead of just worming her. Beside giving the Panacure is not a cureall for all parasitesDifferent Parasites require different medications.

As far as live plants which are safer for the Chameleon, commonly used plants are Schefflera arboricola, Pothos, Hibiscus, and Ficus. THese plants are excellent.

To emergency feed, we can mix some chicken baby food with a pinch of plan calcium and some Royal Jelly and dtop on snout, so your Chaleon cam lick it off. This will help ithe interim. Royal jelly is found at the helpfood store and is what is fed to the Queen Bee. It is high potency and helps with the appetite to promote eating. You can continue with the soaks as you have been doing for hydtarion.

Some feeders you may want to consider for diet are Silk worms and Phoenix worms. They are soft bodied and usually well accepted.

I am so glad you ares eeing another Herp Vet tomorrow. I would appreciate you letting me know the outcome.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
She was low in calcium and will need liquid calcium thank you for all your help

Glad she is doing better.

Joan

Customer
Not better yet but will make it

Recovering from MBD is a slow process, but Reversable.

Joan

Customer
He said not that bad but if we would have let it go on any longer it would have definitely been MBD but he didn't think it was that bad quite yet. Said everything else looked great and was very thankful we had rescued her from the other people that had her and didn't know how to take care of her it would've definitely been fatal

Many people get poor information from Pet supplies instead of doing the research, so I too am very glad, she has you to help her through this time. THe feeders I recommended called Phoenix worms are also know as Calci worms are good in this situation.

Joan

Customer
He said June bug and grasshoppers too

I would be careful with wildcausght bugs some are toxic like fireflies. I also do not know if they have been exposed to toxic substances and secondary toxicity.

Joan

Customer
he told us that too

Silk worms and Phoenix worms as well as dubia roaches can all be ordered online.

Phoenix worms store

Mulberry farms

Eact Coast Roaches

Joan

Customer
I thought about that because theirs use a airplane to spray for mosquitoes so I do not . think i will if I can buy the bug I like that better anyway
Customer
I have horns and Phoenix worms on order that will be her very soon
Customer
Thank you for your help

You are so welcome!

Joan

Customer
Cleo is shedding only on her veil and she has not ate anything in three days

His it is not unusual for her to sed in pieces. My concern with Her low in calcium is that she may be gravid. Reptiles can produce eggs without a male being present. Egg production could account for low calcium levels as well as being off the food. It may be wise to speak to the Herp Vet you had seen about Xrays to check on her being gravid. You can go back to the instructions for emergency feeding.

Joan

Customer
I started the emg feeding & water today she is shedding really well now the herp vet told me to just let her shed an keep up the two drops of liquid calcium daily ( An i add the Chicken and royal gel) he said she is just fine just need to adjust to me and the new care plan she will be just fine and sand I'm doing very good with her she just a little shy

Ah I am glad. I am always wary with Female chameleons. I have seen a lot of problems with them gravid. I am glad she is finally in full shed. That too will stop appetite.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.