My 1.5 month old veiled chameleon has been closing his right eye most of the time I'm observing him. He can open it and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi Anna,
My 1.5 month old veiled chameleon has been closing his right eye most of the time I'm observing him. He can open it and see when he chooses, but only for short periods and it doesn't seem to open fully. What could be wrong? I also noticed that he sometimes closes his eye pushes his eye in and out, and when he pushes it out, I sometimes see a small lump at the base of the eye. Anything you may know will be much appreciated! I'd hate to think the little guy is in any pain.
Answered by Jav917 in 34 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Anna does not seem to be on. My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and have worked with Reptiles over fo years. I would like to assist you, if that is ok.

Joan

Customer
Absolutely!
Customer
Any idea what it could be?

Let me ask some questions to narrow this down.

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Automister?

Diet?

Supplements?

When was last shed?

Do you see any retained shed?

Joan

Customer
His basking light is 100 watts, Zoo Meds Labs, but it went out 2 days ago and I've been using a 60 watt Exo Terra light as backup, and a 100 watt heat emitter. He has an all-mesh terrarium with no solid sides, for ventilation. The cage is 3 feet tall and about 2 feet wide, and is next to my balcony doors so he gets a good amount of natural sunlight during the day. I crack my balcony doors at night too so he gets some fresh air (my room gets pretty warm).He eats free-roam crickets, I put about 60 of them in with him a week and dust them with Reptivite and Repti-calcium, but I can't be certain how much of it stays on them. I also hand feed him about 3-6 mealworms a day to be sure he's getting enough food.I don't have an auto-mister yet but I've been giving him long mists with a big spray bottle 2-5 times a day, before and after I go to work.I've only had him for a week so he hasn't shed yet. He doesn't look like he's going to do it soon either, his skin looks pretty bright and fresh.

Please tell me do you have a UVB light beside a basking bulb? This is very important information.

have you seen him drinking whne misting?

Joan

Customer
Just looked up his light to be sure, it's a UV Powersun light from Zoo Meds, not too familiar with the products since the reptile expert gave me all my equipment, but I matched his light to the picture of Zoo Meds' 100W UV light.
Customer
The reptile expert at the store where I got him that is. Also I've attached a picture of his enclosure.
Customer
Also, he's been actively drinking almost every time I mist him.

Ok, Powersun is a Mercury Vapor bulb. Not recommended for Chameleons

. the give UVB that can cause a sunburn, as well as they get very warm. a Normal UVB bulb spullpies UVB little heat. The only are that is supossied to be that warm is 90-95 in basking area and the resy of the enclosure should be in the 78* range. I recommend a Reptisun 5.0 T5 UVB light that is a linear tube.

The Chameleon looks a bit dehydrated. You need an Auto mister to be safe. They do dehydrate rapidly.

Next issue is never leave crickets in the enclosure. they bite the host. The could have easily have caused the eye issue by biting your chameleon in or around the eye. You feed enough that can be consumed in 15 mins. You can also offer bits of romaine. As far as the calcium and Vitamin, 5 days with calcium and only 2 days with a Vitamin.

I would like to hydrate the Chameleon in a shallow soak for 10 mins at about 90*. Then dry and get back in enclosure. Remove loose crickets. Get a Reptisun 5.0 T5 linear tube installed in the enclosure for proper UVB and add a full spectrum white basking light. For the eye please use Sterile Saline without preservatives. You can order some Terramycin which is an ointment for the eye. It is an Antibiotic to treat for an infection or corneal abrasion: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Terramycin.html

If these measures do not help, I suggest a Herp Vet visit and I can locate some with a State Or County. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan.

Customer
Thanks for this! What is the best way to apply the ointment? Any tips for a way that least stressful for him?

Allowing him to stand on the hand and come from behine and squeeze the medication in. a Helper is best.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. If you need a Herp Vet come back here and let me know and we can find one for you. O am not compensated by the site until rated.

Joan

Hi Ari,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chamilionaire. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer
Hi Joan! Unfortunately hisi eye is still closed but I changed his light to the one you recommended, gave him a soak, and have been flushing his eye out with sterile saline solution, which he actually seems to enjoy. I'm also using a feeder cup now for his crickets. I ordered the antibiotics too so hopefully that will help but I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe it's something stuck in his eye?

If a corneal abrasion or ulceration it can take a while for those to heal. The Terramycin is the best resource short of a Herp Vet visit. Please keep me updated.

Joan

Customer
Thank you, ***** *****!
Customer
Hi Joan,
I've been applying the Terramycin 1-2 times a day for about 5 days now and this morning I woke up to find his eye was a milky color and I'm very concerned. Is he blind? I'm looking up vets to take him to but wanted to see if you had any thoughts in the interim.

Hi, I am so sorry to hear this. I am afraid we did the best short of a Vet visit. There may be something going on not an infection, or ulceration. Possibly Glaucoma. The eye needs to be looked at by the Herp Vet at ths point. Chameleons are so sensitive, I can help locate some Herp Vets with you State.

Joan

Customer
Thanks so much, I hope he's going to be ok!

Please supply your location for Herp Vets. This news breks my heart to the thought he could be blind.

Joan

Customer
I'm in Silverlake, CA 90039

Is that northern or southern and I will get you a list.

Joan

Customer
Southern CA, in east Los Angeles. Thank you!

Thank you this is a list of Herp Vets in the Southern part:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

Please keep me updated on the Chameleon. I am hoping any damage can be reversed.

Joan

Customer
I will, thanks so much for all your help! I'm going to call around and try to get him an appointment today.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.