Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My RES has significant lime scale on her shell. I have tried

Customer Question

My RES has significant lime scale on her shell. I have tried vinegar and water but it didn't seem to help. She has not shed for a long time. Otherwise she is very healthy. She still loves to bask and is eating well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Betty she is 30 years old, the limescale started about a year ago
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Betty?
Customer: No
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with Reptiles for over 40 years.

I suggest that you changed to a bottled spring water in the tank. Once the water is changed the build up will soften and the turtle will be able to shed the lime build up. You can use a soft tooth brush to help loosen the build up, but do not scrape the shell. You can also use a shell conditioner. The big issue is the hard water and the ph levels in the water causing the build up.

Please hit reply tom discuss this information.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan