PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 years experience in veterinary medicine, special interest in reptiles and arachnids.
8538164

The heater in the room of my snake was on all day and he

Customer Question

The heater in the room of my snake was on all day and he over heated. What can I do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your snake?
Customer: He over heated. Now he's not moving much
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your snake. What is the snake's name and age?
Customer: He's only like 6 months old
JA: What is the snake's name?
Customer: Neji
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Neji?
Customer: He has probably been overheating for a few hours
Category: Reptile
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What type of snake do you have?

What temp was reached in the room?

What symptoms are you seeing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. I don't think he's doing well

What type of snake do you have?

What temp was reached in the room?

What symptoms are you seeing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was 107° when I got home it's at 80 now. Ball python. He is very lethargic amd not respomding much to being picked up.

Is he limp?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah but hes still moving some

107 is about 10 degrees above where we'd like to see the high end range of temps. I would recommend that you plug a sink and run lukewarm water into it. Something you'd use for a child. Do not go any dealer than twice the snake's width and keep his head above the water the entire time. Once he's in there, move the faucet head away from your companion and trickle water that is slightly cooler than the lukewarm water into the sink. Swirl gently and slowly with your other hand to blend the temps of the water. Drain as needed. Give him roughly 30 minutes in this before removing him to a cooler area. If he wishes to drink this water, permit him. He may be suffering some from dehydration.

If he does not begin improving quickly, you'll need to find an ER in your area that can see him tonight.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I take him to an ER what will they be able to do

It will truly depend on what resources they have available. At very least, SQ fluids to help with dehydration that may have occurred. This will be particularly helpful if he's too lethargic to drink.

Checking in. How is Neji?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think he may be blind but he's not limp anymore. He seems to be about back to normal movement

Snakes have poor vision to start but high temps can result in neurological problem, as well, and may affect vision to some degree. I'd be surprised if this were the case since the temps were only about 10 degrees above where we'd like to see them. Has he consumed food yet since the overheating?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I was thinking maybe I should wait a week or so. I read that changing his body temperature too quickly it could damage their organs and when I came home I put him in cool water so I thought it would be good to wait in case he needs to heal some. If you think he will be okay, today is his feeding day

I think you'd be wise to wait, it's what I would do, as well. The fewer changes he has right now the better.