Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My turtle is has almost no movement. Hes still alive coz his

Customer Question

My turtle is has almost no movement. Hes still alive coz his eyes are open. But hasnt moved for several hours now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your turtle. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: Its a red ear turtle. Bought him from the pet shop around January and was about 1 and a half inch in diameter. Not sure of that age
JA: What is the turtle's name?
Customer: Crush
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Crush?
Customer: Well I think hes getting weaker because one time I saw him floating upside down close to the filter. I thought he was dead by that time but when I placed him on the turtle island, after a couple of hours Crushes location changed. He was able to make it from one end to another. (BTW, I turned off the water filter coz it could have been giving him stress)
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To add, just in case, I learned that turtles need UV light or light from the sun for its vitamins. As a substitute for the light bulbs, you can take him out and let him bask under direct sunlight a couple of hours a week. That is what we have been doing and it appears he does enjoy it. Please clarify and I would like to follow up my previous question. Thank You.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good morning, JACustomer. Thank you for your patience.

I am not sure where it was stated that turtles only need a few hours per week of UV exposure, but this is not accurate and likely why he's not doing well. I'd like to help you find a veterinary resource in your area to examine and treat him. In the meanwhile, you absolutely need to obtain a UVB light for him and begin using it 12 hours each day during the daytime. Without regular exposure to UVB rays, metabolic bone disease is likely to occur.

Can you tell me in what state you reside?