I own a African sideneck turtle. She would only eat nightcrawlers. Ive had her for three plus years. Now she hasn't been

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I own a African sideneck turtle. She would only eat nightcrawlers. Ive had her for three plus years. Now she hasn't been eating for about tree weeks, Don't know why
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: Georgie. I think $ years old 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Georgie?
Customer: Only she is the only turtle
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me about tank set up?

Filtration?

UVB Bulb, linear tube or comapct coil, strength age of bulb and brand?

Basking light?

Supplements?

Any bubbles from nose or mouth?

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan. My name is***** tank is a 50 gallon tank. We bought the complete set at Pet Smart. I change the filter every month. The UVB bulb is 75watt and the Basking light is 50watt. They are about 6 months old. No supplements. Never could get her to eat any, If you could suggest any I would try them. There are no bubbles from nose or mouth. I keep my tank clean and make sure temp is right. I put calcium in her tank, I just don't know what to do.

Can you tell me more about the UVB light? The are not reted in wattage and may be part of the problem with the appetite and as the loss of appetite. The tank set ups the stores sell are not always complete.

I will wait for the information on the UVB. Is the basking light a white full spectrum Basking spotlight?

Joan

Customer
I accidently bust the lamp and bulb for the daylight. As far as the basking light. All I can tell you is reads Infrared basking spot, light quality. It is a 50W. Just checked the temp and it is 70.

Please give me about 30 mins to work on an answer. I just came on.

Joan

Customer
Ok. Thank you. I will be waiting for your help

The reason I asked about the lighting is that it is most important fr activity and appetite. Your lights need changing. The basking light should be a white full spectrum spotlight over the basking area. The red light can cause burns and is only a night light. The most importan light is a UVB light which you do not have. A UVB supplies artificial sunlight and is rate as 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0 and come in two forms a coil light or a Linear tube. My prefered light is a linear tube. This light gives artificial sunrays which is UVB. This is extremely important for metabolizing calcium into D3 in the body to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease:

https://www.thespruce.com/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles-1237237

You need a heater that will keep the temperature between 70-75*F in the water and 95-100*F in the basking area. These temps are very important because that too can cause a shut down in the turtle. The last issue I see is the turtle needs anywhere from a 60 gallon to 100 gallon tank. The tank they up was not correct.

For The UVB I recommend a Linear tune to go above the tank The neame is a Reptisun 10.0 T5 Tube. If you cannot work out a tube they do make the same bulb in a compact coil that can go in a clamp on lamp The UVB should be with in 12 inches of the turles tank.

The die of earth worms and other crustacians is fine and you can add some Romaine or culy endibes to the diet. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.