We are pretty sure that my Veiled Chameleon and metabolic bone disorder. He fell off his branch and can't get back up.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We are pretty sure that my Veiled Chameleon and metabolic bone disorder. He fell off his branch and can't get back up. He just grabs his face when trying to get on a branch. He is in a ten gallon tank for right now because he is young, and I just started dusting his super worms with calcium. He has 2 lights that add up to 88 watts. We think he has all of his legs fractured or broken.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There are no visible wounds on his foot
JA: What is the Chameleon's name?
Customer: Gus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?
Customer: he can't climb and i stuck on the bottom of the tank
Answered by Jav917 in 8 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with Reptiles over 40 years.

Can you tell me if you have a UVB bulb? It would be a compact coil or a Linear tube and rate as a 2.0, 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0? Holw old is the bulb and brand?

Who sold you a tank for a chameleon?

Do you have an automister for the chaneleon?

Joan

Customer
We have daylight Blue Reptile bulb 60 watt, and Reptisun 5.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent. It came with his cage. I got the tank from Petsmart. We don't have an automister but i mist his cage when I feed him.

You have the wrong set up for the chameleon. The need a tall screen enclosure where the wair flows through. I Suggest a Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. The tall creen enclosure should have vines for clibing and the Linear tube to be placed inside the enclosure. The reason a Chameleon would get MBD would be lack of proper calcium and UVB. They also need an automister because they will not drink from standing water. They dehydrate very easily and that too can be a possibility of what is going on. He should be getting calcium daily and no screen between him and the UVB. They basically sold you an basic set up and not fit for a chameleon. This is a link for a Chameleon caresheet and goes over the proper set up: http://flchams.com/general-chameleon-care-sheet/ As you see on the page the screen enclosure that is what you should have. Chameleons need air flowing through. In a 10 gallon tabk he neither has the airflow needed or the space vertically that the chameleon needs for good health. I would get the proper set up per the care sheet, upgrade the UVB light upgraded to a Reptisun 10.0 lonear tube. I would also get an auto mister so the chaneleon does not dehydrate whch can make him weak.

UVB bulbs only last 6 months so be aware it will need replacement. I would change the blue bulb for a Full spectrum basking bulb which sullies heat and light. The blue bulb is fine for night use but not a basking bulb.

For tonight I suggest a warm soak only up to the stomach and add some clacium powder in the soak. Reptiles can absorb thrugh skin and vent. Osoak for 7-10 mins Dry off and put back in warm enclosure. Tomorrow go get the screen enclosure, Reptisun 10.0 linear tube and an auto mister. For the inside get some vines and live plants that are chameleon safe. These plants are discused in the care sheet. I also suggest a Herp Vet exam. If MBD he may need a stonger calcium supplment from the Herp Vet. If you do not have one, please supply a State and if Ca please say if No or So.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I would also consider Phoenix worms as a feeder musch better and high in calcium.

Joan

Customer
I don't a Herp Vet and live in Utah thanks for your help, I'll visit the pet store tomorrow.

This is a link for Herp Vets in Utah: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/utah.html Or

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/utah.shtml

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
where can I get an automister

Pet shops should have an auto mister they run on a timer. The screen enclosure tall is very important along with vines for climbing. Chameleons find security in height. They should laso have a Linear tube that can be mounted inside so he gets the right amount if UVB and you need the basking bulb that is full spectrum.

Joan

Was there anything else I can help with? If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.