She is 14 and she has a respiratory infection and we are giving her batril. Tonight we weighed her and then she seized

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She is 14 and she has a respiratory infection and we are giving her batril. Tonight we weighed her and then she seized up and teisted her back end and clenched her legs. She would not respond til intook her into my bathtub and the. She passed an egg and feces. She is fine now sleeping on my leg. Never had this happen before. She also seems better tempered before i give her the baytril. Any information would be great. Also we own three and same diet light dehumidifiers and everything. So in care wise they are all treated like royalty.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the reptile. What is the reptile's name?
Customer: Marbles
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marbles?
Customer: She doesnt brumate just eats less in winter same with the others. She eats heartedly and sleeps well and has state of the art lighting.
Answered by Jav917 in 10 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with Reptiles for 40 years.

Is this a Bearded Dragon?

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

Substrate?

UVB bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand and age of bulb?

Basking light?

Temps in basking area, ambient temp, and cool side?

Do you have a lay box for her?

Joan

Customer
Large enclosure with front doors.
No substrate only a tile and marine linoleum easy cleanup.
She has UVB T10.0 bulb high output tube. ZooMed bulb 3 months old.
Basking light is 75w
Temp in basking 95 to 105 at highest point. Ambient 85 coolest would be 75 to 80. She does not use a lay box prefers laying on a towel or on my lap in a towel. Only owned her 2 years.
Customer
bearded dragon
Customer
She gets 12 hours of uvb a day

When I mentioned Lay box, for laying eggs. I assume she is gravid if she laid an egg in the water.

Do you use supplements?

Joan

Customer
She had two eggs come out since yesterday but i believe they were stuck from last clutch she laid as one egg was crusted in yellow goop. Not gravid at all and tummy feels so
Much better than before she laid those eggs. She gets calcium supplements three times a week and eats crickets and dandelion leaves and occasion fruit as a treat.

Thank you! I would up her calcium to 5 days a week of plain calcium and two days of Vitamins, Females that produce eggs have problem with calcium and require more and that may have been what happened tonight, when she seized on you. Low calcium can cause this problem and cause seizures. Female reptiles are always producing follicles and if she laid eggs, that means she had produced them from the follicles.

I am always concerned about egg binding and especially in an aged Dragon. You should have a lay box available if you suspect she is gravid. In so Dragons it is hard to tell until they start glass dancing and need a lay box. If an egg breaks inside the Dragon you need to have her checked out since sepsis from the broken egg is a possibility.

The Baytril should not be a problem and I think if you up the calcium she should not have that issue.

Customer
Ok i will do that thanks so much.
Customer
We also made her with the food processor dandelion greens mixed with liquid calcium and jar of baby food green beans. So we could feed her softer food but high greens

.That is great! When calcium is low these Dragins can aquire MBD and beinging an older girl, we really need to watch her carefully.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
Just an update she is laying eggs today. Must not be a big clutch but she seems so much better. Thanks again.

Glad she is doing better and I am sure the calcium will help.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer
She is doing great thanks so much.

So glad all is well!

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.