A few bad sheds in a row... giving her warm baths but this time I noticed a poop stuck in her. Miles (girl tho) age no

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: a few bad sheds in a row... giving her warm baths but this time I noticed a poop stuck in her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: Miles (girl tho) age no clue I adopted from a co workers son
JA: How old is tho?
Customer: I've had her for around a year so maybe 2-4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about tho?
Customer: other than this recent string of bad sheds she is normal and healthy
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with reptiles for 40 years.

Can you tell me what type of Reptile you are speaking about and can you post a picture of the vent area where the stool is stuck. I will have some further questions.

Joan

Customer
The poor girl is a leopard gecko of unknown age.
I added a picture I just took of the vent, the poop is hard
I also added a picture of her hand...That was the main issue I was soaking her for when I found out about this new one.

In the first picture it looks like a possible prolapse. Bad shed are usually a result of a Vitamin A deficiency. The stool may be dried to tissue protruding from the Vent. We need to clean the vent area gently with some saline and then apply a gauze pad with some sugar on it that has been moistened with cool water. If this is a prolapse then The gecko will need to see a Herp Vet. It would be wise to see the Herp Vet anyway to check on the Vitamin A issues.

Once you take off the sugar pad please rinse with saline again and apply some sterile lubricant like KY jelly.

If you have a loose substrate replace with paper towels. Loose substrate is very dangerous. I would also add a moist hide to the tank to aid when the Gecko sheds.

If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a Country or State and I can locate some for you.

Please hit reply for Herp Vet and to discuss this information.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.