Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My bearded dragon won't eat and she hasn't grown since I…

Customer Question
Hi! My bearded dragon...

Hi! My bearded dragon won't eat and she hasn't grown since I bought her as a hatchling over a month ago. I've been spoon feeding her baby food for two weeks while still offering food in the cage that she refuses to eat. What could be possible causes of this? Thanks!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the baby's name and age?

I'm saying her, but she isn't sexed yet. I call her Nessie. I got her as a hatchling from petsmart about a month ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the baby?

She is in a cage with another baby bearded dragon that is eating and growing

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long do results normally take?
3/21/2017
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 1 year ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and I have worked with Dragons for over 40 years.

Can you tell me about tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB bulb? Linear tube or compact coil, strength brand?

Basking light?

Diet veggies/prey?

Supplements?

Temps in basking area, ambient temps and cool side?

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is in a 20 gallon tank with a fake log that doubles as a place to bask and a hiding place. The left side of the tank is 105-110 F and the cool side is 90-95 F. The substrate is the green felt. I have a reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb. The basking light came with the kit that I got. I don't know how to tell the strength or information about it. I have offered her live meal worms, two different kinds of live crickets, and freeze dried crickets. In the cage, I keep veggies and greens stocked, and coat the insects with calcium powder. I have been feeding her baby food for the past two weeks while continuing to offer fresh food.

The first issue I see is the UVB bulb you were sold is only have as strong as you need. You need a Reptisun 10.0 and I am sure you were sold a Coil bulb. I recommend the Linear tube. The 5.0 bulb is way to weal and can have a great bearing on appetite as well activity level. Next issue is NO Meal worms! They are not digestible to dragons, the chitin canc ause blockages, super worms are too high in fat content. The Dried foods are usless. Live prey needs to be gut loaded before feeding for growth and best results.The Greens should include collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Fresh butternut squash should be fed for fiber.

All prey and veggies should be dusted daily.

I would try getting the proper UVB bulb which is a Reptisun 10.0, gve the Dragon a soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water to help hydrate her. I am hoping the correction in lighting and diet will make a difference. If she does not start eating a Herp Vet visit may be needed for a Fecal. This is a common story of Dragons coming out of the pet shops.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and if you need a Herp Vet please supply a State.

Joan