I just purchased a veiled chameleon from petco I have it in a 16x16x30 screen cage a 100w bulb on top for heat and a uvb

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I just purchased a veiled chameleon from petco I have it in a 16x16x30 screen cage a 100w bulb on top for heat and a uvb bulb today it wouldn't eat and stayed in the pothos plant at the bottom of its enclosure all day displaying dark colors. The top of the cage near basking is about 77-87 degrees I stayed 5 times today when I take her out of the cage after a while she turns her regular right green what is wrong
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: No name yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about yet?
Customer: Nothing yet other than she ait 5 crickets yesterday afternoon and this morning I found 2 droppings on the floor of the cage
Answered by Jav917 in 10 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked with Reptiles 40 years.

How are you measuring temps?

Do you have a automisting system?

Is the 85 in the basking area?

What is the UVB strength?

What are you feeding?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan,
Thank you for your helpA digital thermometer in the asking areaNot yet I'm using a spray bottle and soaking the whole cage and chameleon several times a daySince I got it on Tuesday I offered it mealworms the first day and it didn't eat I gave it crickets the second day and it ate 5
I offered crickets again today and it didn't do anything50w reptisun uvb bulb that came with the lampAnd I dusted the crickets with reptical powered

Thank-you! The the cage temp should be room temperature of 72-80, but the basking are should be 85-95.

These chameleons are very nervous creatures and that can throw them off food. I always suggest a auto misting unit. They will not drink from standing water so even with misting, they can dehydrate.

I would adjust the Basking area and the interior enclosure temps.

I would make sure that the chameleon is in low traffic area up high since they are arboreal.

Since the UVB came with the Kit I am worrying that the bulb may be defective and not giving off enough UVB rays. You may want to replace the bulb with a New Reptisun 10.0. They are good for 6 months and the bulb needs replacing.

It is not unusual for a chameleon not to eat during the adjustment period, but the fact it is staying in the bottom hiding in the Pothos, is concerning.

I would replace the UVB, get an automister, Up the basking temperature, adjust the ambient temp and just monitor. If he doe not seem to adjust I would either take him back to Petco and ask for a Replacement or have him seen by a Herp Vet. Chameleons can go down quickly and hide illness well until stressed. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State.

We get a lot of reports about animals coming out of Pet shops being ill. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

This is a great care link: http://www.veiledchameleoncaresheet.com/

Joan

Customer
My only problem is to get the basking spot to that high of a temp The lamp will be extremely close to where the basking spot is I'd say about 4 inches away is that an all right and safe enough distance? I will go to Petco tomorrow morning replace the bulb and look into an auto Mister and if the problem persists I will just take it back I don't have the money to spend on a vet.
Customer
Also in terms of traffic I have it in a corner of my room and I live on the bottom floor of the house I'm gone for long stretches of the day at a time and my door is closed so there is very little through traffic

I would play with the basking light and see if you can get it to 85* or a little above. Just so it is a bit warmer. That is a good that it is area a low traffic area.You have done everything right as far as setting up, Diet supplements and lighting. As I mentioned my big concern is the Chameleon may be ill. Hopefully with the a minor adjustment he will perk up. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service.

Joan

Customer
I appreciate it thank you
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.