Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My nephew's gecko has a protrusion on his underside, between

Customer Question

My nephew's gecko has a protrusion on his underside, between his hind legs. Is that his penis? We have had him for a couple of years and this is the first time we have seen this.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech and have worked with reptiles for 40+ years

What you are describing sounds like a prolapse and could be an Hemipenile, cloacal or intestinal prolapse. This needs to have emergency treatment. You can clean the area with saline and the apply a gauze pad with sugar paste. Take some sugar and moisten with cool water and apply to the area. Keep the sugar paste on for 10 to 15 mins. This will help shrink the tissues. Once dome clean again with some saline and apply some sterile lubricating jelly. The Herp Vet will need to address this and replace it and suture in place. Make sure you have clean paper towels down. If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a State and I can locate some for you. Please hit reply to discuss and supply a state.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Did you need me to locate a Herp Vet for you? Please let me know if I can further assist you.

Joan