My 2 year old female beardie ate about 1/8 of a philodendron leaf about half an hour ago. My literature says they are

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 2 year old female beardie ate about 1/8 of a philodendron leaf about half an hour ago. My literature says they are toxic. Is there anything I can do for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the bear ate?
Customer: part of a philodendron leaf
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bear?
Customer: It is a bearded dragon, a lizard. My book on bearded dragons says philodendrons are poisonous to bearded dragons
Answered by Jav917 in 21 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with 40 years working with Dragons.

Philidendrons are are toxic anc an burn the inside of the mouth as well as make the dragon ill, The ideal thing would be see the Herp Vet for treatment. If you do not have one, I can locate one with a state. I would try feeding some crickets, silk worms Phoenix worms or dubia roaches and some veggies to dilute down the effect, if you cannot get into the Herp Vet. We do see different reactions when this happens from mild to very ill. I am hoping with the amount ingested to be a small amount, the dragon will have minimal issues if any at all.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and to supply a state.

Joan

I will be going off for a few hours for a break. I will respond to you when I get back if you have further questions or want to discuss the information supplied. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer
Thank you. I fed her a superworm and a large cricket.. Also several small pieces of apple and water. I'll watch her closely and keep pushing the food and water.

I suggest you stay away from super worms and meal worms, we do not recommend them as feeders. The they are high in chitin and fat and can cause liver disease after feeding for long periods of time. The best feeders are crickets, dubai roaches, silk worms and Phoenix worms. I would coat all food with calcium and that should also help. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars,

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.