My 2 year old female beardie ate about 1/8 of a philodendron leaf about half an hour ago. My literature says they are

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 2 year old female beardie ate about 1/8 of a philodendron leaf about half an hour ago. My literature says they are toxic. Is there anything I can do for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the bear ate?
Customer: part of a philodendron leaf
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bear?
Customer: It is a bearded dragon, a lizard. My book on bearded dragons says philodendrons are poisonous to bearded dragons
Answered by Jav917 in 21 mins 5 years ago
Pet Specialist

27,324 satisfied customers

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary


My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with 40 years working with Dragons.

Philidendrons are are toxic anc an burn the inside of the mouth as well as make the dragon ill, The ideal thing would be see the Herp Vet for treatment. If you do not have one, I can locate one with a state. I would try feeding some crickets, silk worms Phoenix worms or dubia roaches and some veggies to dilute down the effect, if you cannot get into the Herp Vet. We do see different reactions when this happens from mild to very ill. I am hoping with the amount ingested to be a small amount, the dragon will have minimal issues if any at all.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and to supply a state.


I will be going off for a few hours for a break. I will respond to you when I get back if you have further questions or want to discuss the information supplied. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.


Thank you. I fed her a superworm and a large cricket.. Also several small pieces of apple and water. I'll watch her closely and keep pushing the food and water.

I suggest you stay away from super worms and meal worms, we do not recommend them as feeders. The they are high in chitin and fat and can cause liver disease after feeding for long periods of time. The best feeders are crickets, dubai roaches, silk worms and Phoenix worms. I would coat all food with calcium and that should also help. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars,


Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
27,324 satisfied customers
Pet Specialist
+ years of experience

27324 satisfied customers



Licensed veterinarians

31,131 satisfied customers

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.
Related Veterinary Questions
My bearded dragon ate part of a philodendron leaf, about
Dr Adrien
1,700 Satisfied Customers
She isn't growing. She stopped eating when I got her and I
Reptile Expert, Biologist
5,214 Satisfied Customers
My beardy ate a morning glory leaf. Full grown and the whole
Dr. Caryn – Vet
Reptile Veterinarian
327 Satisfied Customers
Do you deal with Bearded Dragons? A Bearded Dragon - lizard.
Veterinary Technician
22,330 Satisfied Customers
I have adult Bearded dragon who is sick. Was outside today
Reptile Expert, Biologist
5,214 Satisfied Customers
How it works
logoAsk for help, 24/7
Ask for help, 24/7
Members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ verified Experts, including doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, more.
logoExpert will respond in minutes
Expert will respond in minutes
After you reach out, we match you with an Expert who specializes in your situation. Talk, text, chat, whichever you prefer.
logoSave time & money
Save time & money
No scheduling hassles, missing time from work, or expensive consults.
A JustAnswer membership can save you significant time and money each month.
Sarahesq and 87 other Veterinarian specialists are ready to help you.
Disclaimer: Information in questions, answers, and other posts on this site ("Posts") comes from individual users, not JustAnswer; JustAnswer is not responsible for Posts. Posts are for general information, are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice (medical, legal, veterinary, financial, etc.), or to establish a professional-client relationship. The site and services are provided "as is" with no warranty or representations by JustAnswer regarding the qualifications of Experts. To see what credentials have been verified by a third-party service, please click on the "Verified" symbol in some Experts' profiles. JustAnswer is not intended or designed for EMERGENCY questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals.
Why you’ll love JustAnswer
JustAnswer is the best way to get expertise on-demand from doctors, lawyers, vets, mechanics and more. Since 2003, we’ve helped more than 9 million people in 196 countries and have an A+ rating with BBB and a 9.6/10 rating with TrustPilot.
Highly rated, verified Experts
We pride ourselves in our 8-step verification process including license and credential checks. Vetted by us and rated by customers, like you.
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like ...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
JustAnswer, Professional Services  General, San Francisco, CA
Google reviews
TrustPilot Reviews