I have a crested gecko. he is about 6/7 years old. He is very lethargic and he isn't eating. He isn't able to climb on

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a crested gecko. he is about 6/7 years old. He is very lethargic and he isn't eating. He isn't able to climb on the wall.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the gecko. What is the gecko's name?
Customer: Jingles. My son got him for Christmas that many years ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jingles?
Customer: I don't think so. We usually feed him crickets and mashed banana. He just doesn't look good. I think he is dying
Answered by PitRottMommy in 2 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you using any supplements for Jingles?

How long has he been lethargic?

Customer
No not really. Sometimes we put calcium on the crickets, but that is about it. I am not sure how long he has been lethargic. I noticed the other day he seemed thinner, but that is it.
Customer
I have never used this site before. Are you responding?

Do you know when he stopped eating? Have you witnessed any tremors in the body or toes?

Customer
I can't say we watch him that closely all the time. I have 3 active boys and 2 dogs. We spray his cage daily and on occasion hold him. I have not noticed tremors in the body.
Customer
I have to go.

I think your best bet is going to be having him examined by a reptile vet. In what state do you reside?

Crested geckos are typically a hardy gecko but can be sensitive to things missing in their diet. The occasional dusting of calcium has likely helped stave off any metabolic concerns but I would not be surprised to hear that he has metabolic bone disease, particularly since he's having problems climbing. There are diets on the market to help avoid this type of situation and I would highly recommend obtaining one of them and using regularly. They can be used alone or with fruit, such as mashed banana or baby food. My favorite is marketed by Repashy and you can find that here: http://www.repashy.com

When you are able, reply with what state you're in and I'll get more information to you. Our chat does not end when you close out the chat, just save the link and come back when you're able.

Customer
I'm in Massachusetts. Tufts University is next to me. I will go there. They have a reptile clinic. Thanks.

Perfect. Good luck!

Customer
thank you
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.