My iguanna is about a year old and the other night the power went out and it got really cold the next mornin the iguanna

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my iguanna is about a year old and the other night the power went out and it got really cold the next mornin the iguanna was stiff i thought it was dead but i warmed it back up and it was still alive but now it has no appettite and its limbs dont work properlly can you tell me if i may have hurt it permently or will it pass
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Iguania's name?
Customer: rango
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about rango?
Customer: not that im aware of
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have worked wiith Reptiles for 40 years.

Can you tell me about the set up?

UVB light,. linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Temps in basking area and ambient temps?

Diet? supplements?

Joan

Customer
ive had rango ever since it was about 6 to 7 inches long now raango is prolly 2 foot long tail and all rangos cage is aprox 4 feet in lengh 2.5 feet tall and 2.5 feet width there is branches and platforms the lighting is a heeat lamp i got from my daughter she used it for a bearded dragon named beans diet kale broccli green pepper water

Do you have a UVB light at all? It is a florescent type light that is a tube or compact coil.

Do you feed any supplements?

Customer
a regular bulb i think and what kind of supplements

Do you use a calcium or vitamin supplement?

Joan

Customer
i have a 28 inch ultra violet black light would that work
Customer
not that im aware of
Customer
rango sheds alot too
Customer
im really worried about my first question

I suspect the Iguana is suffering from Metabolic Bone Disease MBD http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

This s a result of Improper light, Lack of calcium supplements and improper diet. Reptiles need two type of lighting a basking light which is an incandescent bulb that supplies heat. The other needed bulb is a UVB light whch supplies artificial sunlight to metabolize a calcium supplement into D3 in the body. Without the calcium and UVB light, the Dragon will start with MBD as mentioned above. These light bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months because they loose potency. I recommend a reptisun 10.0 linear tube for the UVB and a good basking bulb that is full spectrum. The Diet aslo needs changing. Kale binds calcium so the Iggy if he is getting any calcium at all cannot use it.

This is a diet that is acceptable: http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

You need to get the bulbs and calcium as soon as possible to start helping the Iggy. MBD is not curable but we can stop the progression and help restore some of the mobility.

It would be wise for the iggy to see a Herp Vet to get started n a higher potency calcium supplement and they may do an injection as well. I can locate some her Vets for you with your location.

I also suggest bathing your iggy at least once a well in a nice soak for 20 mins. This is important for hydration.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer
what about rango getting so cold that night

For night time you can use a black Reptile Light or a ceramic Heat emitter which will keep the temps in the mid 70's. I live in Florida where when the weather drops into the low 60's and upeer 50's Iguanas fall from the trees. We collect them and gently warm them and they are back to their normal selves once that is done. What you are seeing is not a result of the cold, but more showing signs of MBD. which can cause Paralysis, joint problems and even organ issues.

Joan

Customer
ok i will get the things that rango needs god willing rango will be back to its normal self soon and that we havent hurt rango by not knowing is there any kind of like treats we could give rango from time to time and thank you very much for the help and answers youve provided joan you have a wonderful valintines day once again thank you

Whole wheat bread and small pieces of pasta are great treats and you can look at the feeding chart I supplied if in doubt. Diet, Lighting and supplements are very important. Bearded Dragons also require the same lighting and a similiar diet and supplements. If I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to rate my service 6 stars.

Joan

Customer
i will gladly rate you 10 stars

Thank-you! It is a shame the information supplied by Pet shops is not accurate and it takes illness to cause research to make the animals feel better.

Have a Great Valentines day too.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.