My chameleon is acting very sluggish...hanging from the bottom of branches instead of the top and sometimes just sitting

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi!
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my chameleon is acting very sluggish...hanging from the bottom of branches instead of the top and sometimes just sitting in the bottom of the cage...she is still eating crickets and they are fed a calcium rich diet and she has a mister in her cage. Her color is good but I'm not sure if the cooler weather is maybe making her listless?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your chameleon. What is the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 months old. She also had an issue where the tip of her tail got very dry and she bit it off but it healed quickly.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?
Customer: just that this has been going on for about 2 days.
Answered by Jav917 in 12 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me if it is a screen enclosure?

UVB light, Linear tube or compact coil strength. age of bulb and brand?

White basking light?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Temps?

Type of chameleon?

Joan

Customer
It is a screen enclosure inside the house. She has a uv light coiled 100 w and a heat light and my husband is heading out to get a basking light. She is a veiled chameleon.

When a chameleon is on low branches and on the ground and is a Female, I get very concerned. Female chameleons can lay eggs without a Male. The behavior you described could be that of a Gravid female. The big issue is that chameleons can get eggbound very easily. This is vary dangerous for the chameleon and many people loose their pets due to this. The positive note is she is still eating, but the warning signs that something is wrong is there. I have to suggest a Herp Vet visit to have her checked out. Once they go off food you are in an extreme danger Zone with them. If you supply a State I can locate some Herp Vets for you. If the UVB is over 6 months of age you will want to replace it and also being a femal make sure her prey is dusted with calcium 5 days a week as well as two days a week with a Vitamin. Femal Chameleons as well as most female Reptiles require extra calcium.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and we can continue and supply the state for a Herp Vet.

Joan

Customer
We live in Land o lakes Florida.

Thank-you! This is a link for Florida Herp Vets: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html I do not see one exactly in that area, but the lest has other towns that may be close by. Please let me know if you have concerns on this information .

Joan

Checking in on your Chameleon. Wanted to see if you had the Chameleon seen by the Herp Vet and how it is doing. Please let me know.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.