Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I know what you're going to tell me right off about my

Customer Question
Hi, I know what you're...
Hi, I know what you're going to tell me right off about my Franklin... well first of all he doesn't live in a tank of any kind. He roams free. He has lived this way for about 16 yrs now when My nephew brought him home from school. He was the class pet. His tank accidently got broken about, well not long after that. He seemed happy to roam free with the cat & my sister didn't know any better so that's how he's been living all this time. I really think sometimes he thinks he's a cat. He used to climb up onto the cat water & food dishes & eat & drink. He still has a dog food bowl that he drinks from. Her climbs up into it, lays there, drinks & then 'slides' back out when he's done. I have him now. My sister passed away.... I know, I know, no need to tell me he should be in a tank & not free. I don't think he'd be happy or even know how to live in one now...all that said I think he may be hibernating. I know he always did. I'm a little concerned because he won't eat. His skin under his shell, which appears fine no soft spots, no cracks, nothing different there, but I can see more of his body under his shell then usual & it looks a bit pinkish, just seems a little different. Also he's never been to a vet. I'm wondering if his front & back claws are way too long, though I've read that males do have very long front claws. Also, his beak is very overgrown. I just want to make sure I do the best job I can to keep him healthy & happy (He's so fresh! ūüėČ, so much personality!). But, see, I'm disabled. Not completely unable to do anything. I put him in a tub when he eats or he'll let me know when he just wants to be in the water. So I can provide the care. But I don't have disposable money to run out & get all the things everyone says they need. He IS different/special. He has lived this way all these years. But, like I said; I want to be sure I'm doing what's best for him, outside of putting him in a 'cage'. That's really a concern because I wouldn't, physically be able to maintain a tank/typical habitat. Plus, like I said; I really don't think he'd survive in one. He's never really lived in one.
Sorry, that was a lot of all over the place!! I have MS so my brain gets scattered. I hope at least some of my questions came thru clearly enough?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 3 days by:
1/12/2017
Reptile Expert: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What type of reptile is Franklin?

Where does he free roam?

Aside from the nails, are you seeing any medical issues?

Can you provide pictures of the nails?

Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist