Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Not movin eating growing, his name is mikey and we purchaced

Customer Question

not movin eating growing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the reptile. What is the reptile's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** we purchaced him in july
JA: How old is mikey?
Customer: around 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about mikey?
Customer: we had another turtle in the cage. just yesterday we notice he had a little chip around the edge of his shelll
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles.I'm sorry to hear of this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

What kind of turtles do you have - box, slider, painted, musk, etc.?

What types of lighting and heating equipment do you use?

What is the temperature right under the basking light?

What do you feed them? Any supplements?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how long can my res turtle be immobile for
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

There is no set amount of time a turtle can be immobile for. If he has not moved for days, he may no longer be alive. Dead turtles usually have the head and all four legs outside the shell. They often appear limp, and feel limp when you touch them. Eyes may be sunken, but that can also be a sign of dehydration in a living turtle. The eyes in a dead turtle are usually open. The skin of a dead turtle may feel warm to the touch, rather than cold. You can also pinch a toe on a back foot. If the turtle is alive, there will be some reflex movement.

If you'll give me the information I asked for above, I may be able to help you figure out what went wrong, and to keep your other turtle healthy.

Anna