My daughter has red iguana she lives in houston will be two on valentines. He us free range in her house. He crawled

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my daughter has red iguana she lives in houston will be two on valentines. He us free range in her house. He crawled onto the window screen like usual with the temp gone down she found him this afternoon to feed and his back legs do not work or his tail
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there is no curve to his body and no cuts
JA: What is the iguana's name and age?
Customer: Lil Red and will be 2 valentines
JA: How old is Lil Red?
Customer: almosr 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lil Red?
Customer: She thinks he got too cold, this morning he was sleep on the curtain which is usual and sits in the sun, He has not eaten anything today
Answered by Jav917 in 17 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet etch for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me if The Iggy has any access to 12-14 hours of UVB rays?

Does she use any supplements?

Diet?

If the foot is pinched is there any response?

Joan

Customer
I am waiting for my daughter to answer. Shes in Houston
Customer
01/02:No uvb, he goes outside to soak up the sun, and yes I have a powdered vitamin D3 supl I sprinkle on food. And no there s no response from back feet or
Customer
02/02:tail, it's all completely limp no mater what I do to move them.

How much time does the iggy get outside a day?

Customer
At least 8hrs

I am not so sure this is from the cold, but in the mean time she can putthe iggy in a warm soak at about90* and add 50% Pedialyte to the soak for 10-15 mins. If this is from the cold, the iggy should be responding within that time frame. I am in Fl and when we get a cold front the Iggys drop from the trees. We warm them up and place them in a safe area until they can be released. What I suspect is going on is Metabolic Bone Disease. This would cause Paralysis. The Iggy needs 12-14 hours a day of direct sunlight or a UVB bulb that can offer that in one room. The UVB along with the calcium is needed to prevent this issue. This is some Information on MBD: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

Diet can also play a part in this because some Veggies bind calcium like Spinach and Kale two commonly fed foods that can cause a problem with calcium absorption. Please have her try the soak and let me know if the Iggy responds with movement. I will stand by. If that doesn not work, I want to further discuss what we can do to help.

Joan

Customer
I know boc choy is what she likes to feed him most
Customer
Tyvvm
Customer
I will be in touch

I will await your response.

Joan

Customer
Soaking now, still shallow breathing not responsive to touch or movement...
Customer
Won't hold head up, I have to support with my hands
Customer
5 min @ lst so far

Right now at the temp and in the soak the Iggy should be responding. I suspect there is more going on then just the cold. Usually when we thaw out Iggies that have fallen out of the trees, we see some movement at 5 mins to include movement if tail. I am really concerned this is Metabolic Bone Disease and it has been gradually coming on and now with the cold it has stiffened the Iggy up completely. This is from the Green Iguana Society that goes over a lot of factors involved including inadaquate temps and lack of UVB rays. http://www.greenigsociety.org/mbd.htm

This is a link for Texas Herp Vets: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/texas.html

At this point I think the Iggy needs to be confined under a good UVB or Mercury Vapor Bulb, Warm to proper temps, restrict activity, push calcium and have the Iggy seen by a Herp Vet for a full evaluation hands on.

I am very concerned because if was just cold, we should see some recovery at this point.

Joan

Customer
Thank you

Please update me about how things are going. I would like to follow up.

Joan

Customer
Unfortunately the iggy past 5 min ago.

I am so sorry! I honestly suspect this was the result of MBD. Unfortunately without a Necopsy we will not know for sure. Please offer my condolences.

Joan

Customer
I will. Have a blessed evening
Customer
tyvvm. You are so awesome

Again please accept my condolences.

Joan

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.