My beardie is about 2.5 years. He's healthy. Appears to be deep in brumation in the last few weeks, which slowly came on

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My beardie is about 2.5 years. He's healthy. Appears to be deep in brumation in the last few weeks, which slowly came on over the last month. He seems to change location in the middle of the night and sometimes eats some greens in the middle of the night. I have only the heat lamp on due to him sleeping. Should I be turning on the other lights (UVB fluorescent and a regular incandescent bulb) even though it disturbs his sleep?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help beardie. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about beardie?
Customer: no. just lighting question during brumation
Answered by Anna in 52 mins 5 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'll be glad to help with your question today.

Beardies under one year of age don't brumate, but after one year, many of them do.Their bodies slow down in response to the shorter days of winter, even when they live in our houses and have lights on. Brumation requires some special care. The regular lights should be left on for 12 hours per day. Without proper temperatures and UVB light, your beardie is likely to get sick while brumating. During brumation, you shouldn't feed any live prey, but make fresh greens available. Once a week, take your beardie out for a soak to keep him hydrated. Supervise the bath carefully since he is sluggish. As the days grow longer again, he should come out of this.

Also watch for any symptoms to appear. While it's not likely, he could develop an infection during brumation. Watch for eyes that are actually swollen shut, abnormal breathing, any swelling, sneezing/coughing, etc. If anything unusual happens, you'll want to see a reptile vet. Otherwise, just let the brumation run its course. Some dragons brumate for only a week or two, while others may go as long as four months.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your beardie will have a successful brumation.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.