Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My turtle has swollen cheeks, sparky and 1 year, no

Customer Question

my turtle has swollen cheeks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the turtle's name and age?
Customer: sparky and 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about sparky?
Customer: no
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear Sparky is having this problem. I'll explain more about it in a few minutes, but he is going to need a vet. Will you give me your zip code so i can find the closest one for you?

Thank you.

Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for waiting. The area that is swollen on Sparky is called the tympanic region.

The most common cause of such swelling is an ear abscess or infection. This is not something that is easy to treat. It will probably require injections of antibiotics, and surgical draining may be necessary.

Less common causes of this type of swelling include vitamin A deficiency and tumors.

You'll need to make an appointment with a reptile vet. I know you would like a home treatment, and I would like to give you one, but infections, abscesses, and tumors all need to be treated by a vet. You don't want to increase the turtle's vitamin A without knowing for certain that's what is wrong, because too much vitamin A can be harmful. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you would like me to find a vet for you, please give me your zip code. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Sparky will quickly reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

Also, be sure that Sparky is warm enough as that will help during his recovery. The basking area should be 85*F to 90*F, and the water 78*F to 82*F.

Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm checking to see how sparky is doing. I hope he's better. Do you need any additional information?

Anna